Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 86 svo. have had a gt 5.0 decided to go with something a little more rare and have some fun. i know not a damn thing about this car. wondering about stock hp on it. and also what sites are good for performance parts. if anyone could help it would be great. also if anyone knows a stock 1/4 mile time that would be great.

right now all thats done is:
high flow head
garrett t3
8.8 3.73 rear
adjustable cam gear
k&n filter
turbo back exhaust
some really low suspension

this was on it when i bought the car. i do have reciepts for it all though so thats a plus. and by some chance is there anyway to adjust the boost with out a manual boost controller and if not how hard is one of those to install? ive never done turbo before so im very new any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Google search for Stinger performance, Boport, Foureyedpride, Turbo ford and 40bob (he has some great NOS parts).

Who did the head work? What size turbo back exhaust?

Stinger has a LOT of performance parts including full exhaust and FMIC's new ECU coming in a couple weeks and a lot of supporting things like wastegates/BOV's/BPV's.

A manual boost controller is relatively cheap (I just got one for less than $30 shipped) and VERY easy to install. You will have to route 2 silicone hoses from boost pressure source to the wastegate and turn a screw in or out depending on desires.

Factory ragint for an 86 was 200hp, and I have no idea on stock 1/4 times. Would guess low 14's, maybe high 13's here and there.
Do you have a factory fuel system? If so don't go past ~18psi to be safe.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
^ he pretty much hit the nail on the head. The stock hp rating is 200, but that is underrated as usual by ford. A manual boost controller is cheap and well worth the cash. Where else can you gain 40rwhp for $30? lol
My car ran a 13.8 with just a K&N drop in filter.
Very underrated car. Take care of it and now go beat up on some 5.0 fox bodies. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you that helped a lot. the head was actually bought as a high flow head i would have to look at the reciept to see where he got it. the exhaust is 3 inch to the muffler and 2.5 after the muffler. i bought the car this way for $1800. also maybe one of you could help with my little dillemma. i read on here stock boost is 12 psi. i have a aftermarket guage in my car and its reading at 7. it doesnt seem like its running like **** or anything...so i was kind of eliminating boost leak. any ideas?

·
Registered
87 Posts
what position are you running the fuel switch in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
normal one not for premium...does that really make a difference with the boost? like i said im very new to the car so idk anything about it

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
That is exactly your problem. Drink up your 87 octane and toss in your local high test and hit that switch.

Remember how a turbo works.. off of exhaust gas. You need to floor it to see max boost.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yeah the higher octane will allow it to build "max" factory boost.

Also, that 2.5" pipe after the muffler will be a limiting factor. If you can get it swapped with something 3" to match the rest of the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you guys very much. im gonna try that when i put gas in tomorrow and let u know what happens. hopefully that will be the solution

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you guys by the way i didnt realize all i had to do was flip a switch and get 12 psi. its a whole new animal. lol. and the other thing maybe someone will know. my headlights go on and off when the switch is on but if i hold the high beams on they are just fine. im thinking maybe a short in the wire somewhere or something. just seeing if anyone may have had the same problem

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
You need to upgrade your alternator to a 3g is all. Get that boost controller and you will see 15 + psi all day. If you think 12 is a jump you should try 18.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I've found a couple different quality controllers for $25 to $40. Look around a little while. There is a guy on Foureyedpride selling some he made for cheap. I have one of his.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whats a 3g alternator and how would that help my headlight problem? also now i just found out that i have a small oil leak somewhere. has anyone had a problem with that before and what did u find out with your leak...maybe where abouts it was coming from

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
do you by any chance know what the stock turbo on one of these is? my buddie thinks its the seals in the turbo so im looking into a new one or at least a rebuilt one

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
It is a t3 if it is a stock turbo and I think there is actually one for sale on here. Check out the 2.3/SVO section and the for sale section.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
An easy to afford rebuild kit from Ebay or any internet dealer will be the best thing for your stock turbo. They are real easy to do, and there is even a video "how to" on the internet I watched a couple months ago. Rebuild what you have unless you are just looking for an excuse to upgrade your turbo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah i mean i found a stock t3 from a mustang junkyard near where i live and they only want 150 for it so i may go that route. i was looking online at svoca.com and i saw that these are supposed to run 9/15psi stock. im confused cuz i read on here that its supposed to be 7/12psi. idk a little confusing for me considering i know nothing about the car. but also i know almost nothing about turbos...whats trim size mean? and i read stock on the 86 svo was .48 trim and on the 84 svo it was .68 trim. is there a big difference in the turbos and will both work on my car without modding anything?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The trim size is a measurement of the size of the exducer and inducer of each wheel. It's basically a size rating.

The factory settings you found on SVOCA are most likely correct. There is a lot of different knowledge out about these cars, some right some wrong. SVOCA is dedicated to "factory stock everything" with these cars so when it comes to learning how it was built originally they would probably have the most acurate answers.

But for anything aftermarket, avoid that site like the plague. They are notorious for being stock nazi's. If you want to mod look into any of those site's I posted earlier.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts