Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new mustang owner; I have a 2000 base model. I was curious if it is possible or worth my time to swap out my rear axle, for the GT's? I figure its similar to changing the T Lock and and the gears. Would i have to do anything further than change the axle,or would further mods be needed?
Thank You

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes its possible and worth it if your planning to add more power later

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yeah, they bolt right on.

They came with the same gear ratio so you'll probably want to change that before you install it.

If you can find one cheap then go for it but otherwise just throw a tlok and gears into your 7.5. Unless you start making some serious power and running some very grippy tires you shouldn't be able to break a 7.5. I've been trying for a couple months now and my 7.5 just won't break.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hmmmm bolts right up? So can i put a mach 1 rear end in my V6 ?lol reason i ask is because im able to get one for a really good price or is there even a diff between the GT? Sorry im not trying to thread jak lol

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Hmmmm bolts right up? So can i put a mach 1 rear end in my V6 ?lol reason i ask is because im able to get one for a really good price or is there even a diff between the GT? Sorry im not trying to thread jak lol
Yep, Mach rear should bolt right up. I think the only difference between the GT and Mach rear is that the Mach came with 3.55 gears.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Sorry I dont know much about cars either, would it be the same way with a 2006 v6?
I believe you'd need to swap in an 8.8 from an S197. I'm pretty sure it's too different from the Fox/SN95/NE 8.8 rear ends to work without some more serious modifications that would just make it not worthwhile.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just so we're on the same page, a 2006 GT rear end wont work with mine? So the best bet would be to get the gears myself and install them in my v6 rear end?

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Just so we're on the same page, a 2006 GT rear end wont work with mine? So the best bet would be to get the gears myself and install them in my v6 rear end?
2005+ rears are a 3 link set up while 79-04 are 4 link

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
A 2005+ 8.8 rear will work if you have a 2005+ V6. If you have a 79-04 V6 you'll need a 79-04 8.8 rear. Or you can stick with the 7.5 rear end and go with 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10 gears plus a tlok (do them both at the same time or you'll be pissed when you pay twice for the same install). If you have a manual, be aware that 1st and 2nd gear are pretty short on 4.10s and you'll probably end up doing a lot of 2nd gear starts and roll through stop signs once you get lazy with them.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did not see anyone post this, so here goes.

Unless you are going to exceed 300 hp at the wheels (V6 with turbo, supercharger or nitrous) you don't need to drag the extra weight of a 8.8 around.

* If the 8.8 is >50K miles the T-Lok inside is probably worn/less effective
* The 8.8 rear end adds more than 50lbs of weight compared to a 7.5"

Compare the cost of gears and T-Lok in your existing 7.5" to installing the 8.8" and then think about how long you plan to own the car. If that is a short term plan or you are planning on forced induction, then saving a few hundred installing the 8.8 now is probably your best bet. If the car is staying normally aspirated and you plan to drive another 100K miles, installing gears and T-Lok in your existing 7.5" is the better option.

Either way, the cost of a tuner or chip isn't required if you want to change the gear ratio. Going from 3.27 to 3.55 gears will make your speedo read high by about 8% in addition to the stock error. For example, when the speedometer says 80 MPH you will actually be driving at about 73 MPH.

This kind of error might keep you from getting speeding tickets if you don't overthink it.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
I did not see anyone post this, so here goes.

Unless you are going to exceed 300 hp at the wheels (V6 with turbo, supercharger or nitrous) you don't need to drag the extra weight of a 8.8 around.

* If the 8.8 is >50K miles the T-Lok inside is probably worn/less effective
* The 8.8 rear end adds more than 50lbs of weight compared to a 7.5"

Compare the cost of gears and T-Lok in your existing 7.5" to installing the 8.8" and then think about how long you plan to own the car. If that is a short term plan or you are planning on forced induction, then saving a few hundred installing the 8.8 now is probably your best bet. If the car is staying normally aspirated and you plan to drive another 100K miles, installing gears and T-Lok in your existing 7.5" is the better option.

Either way, the cost of a tuner or chip isn't required if you want to change the gear ratio. Going from 3.27 to 3.55 gears will make your speedo read high by about 8% in addition to the stock error. For example, when the speedometer says 80 MPH you will actually be driving at about 73 MPH.

This kind of error might keep you from getting speeding tickets if you don't overthink it.
If you install the 8.8 yourself thats almost always going to be the best/ least expensive option.

and the extra weight of the 8.8 isnt going to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If you install the 8.8 yourself thats almost always going to be the best/ least expensive option.

and the extra weight of the 8.8 isnt going to make much of a difference.
If you can find one cheap then yes. Remember though, the clutch packs in T-loks do wear out over time so a used 8.8 tlok won't last as long as a new 7.5 one. If you can find a cheap 8.8 and rebuild kit for the tlok you'll be in great shape.

The total weight of the 8.8 isn't going to make any difference. The main difference will come from the added rotational inertia in one. Still, I doubt you'd be able to notice it.

·
Livin' the Good Life
699 Posts
If you can find one cheap then yes. Remember though, the clutch packs in T-loks do wear out over time so a used 8.8 tlok won't last as long as a new 7.5 one. If you can find a cheap 8.8 and rebuild kit for the tlok you'll be in great shape.

The total weight of the 8.8 isn't going to make any difference. The main difference will come from the added rotational inertia in one. Still, I doubt you'd be able to notice it.
Trust me, first couple of times driving with it, you notice but you get use to it. It really hooks, that's what I love! :yes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts