Modded Mustang Forums banner

swap

2K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  Mr. Red Pony 
#1 ·
Ive got a 04 v6 and im thinking about doing a swap. whats your thoughts?

gt motor only has 260 at the crank while mach 1 has 305hp.

#6 ·
If you're going through all of the work to do the swap, go with the 4v engine. You'll be much happier in the long run.

+1. Then the old parts from the V6 plus the parts not used from the donor car can all be sold off to take down the overall cost of the swap.

#7 ·
What your guys opinions. I plan on keeping this car forever. Im 24 now, just graduated college with a bachelors in marketing, no kids or wife (yet). Wedding coming within a year or 2. I got a decent job as a restaurant manager.

I got a v6 mustang thats going to b e paid off in 2months. Ill have extra money that i can spend. I could get a supercharger or turbo for the 6 and id be paying like 4k and with a built motor i could get about 350rwhp. That would be prob about the max on the v6.

On the other hand i could drop about the same (or more) money put a v8 in the car which wouldnt be as much power...BUT long term would be able to create much more power.

The question is what would you do?

#10 ·
There was a video posted around here a while back of a V6 making something like 450hp on stock internals. And we've had a few people make 500hp+ (I think at least one broke into the 600s) on built motors. Your V6 has more potential than you're giving it credit for, but it's going to take some money. You can do the same thing with a V8 and it's still going to cost quite a bit. Either way, if you're building the hell out of the car then you're going to end up with a badass car. In the end, it's really just your preference. But I can say it would be awesome to have a V6 that was smoking the **** out of V8s (because we all know a lot of V8 owners don't believe a V6 could actually beat them).

#19 ·
I drive 85miles a day to work so im getting a shitty like 1500 dollar car for that. my days off would be this car. So i guess not a daily driver but not a race car. I want the car to be clean keep the aggressive look while, staying within means. I know ppl with a v6 say our cars can produce power and can beat v8s. I just love the sound of a v8 that rumble turns me on i guess. I think if you can spend equal or little more money and get same amount of power its worth the change.
I plan on getting and 8.8 rear in my car anyways. I also will need a new tranny eventually. My 5thgear synchro is messed up. A new or built tranny will be needed.

Upgraded suspension and brakes will be needed either way.

That takes care many of the issues im asking myself. Why spend the extra money if i can get just as much power with my current v6.

#21 ·
why suspension and brakes ?
tranny ok, just find a T5 WC in a junkyard

your looking at buying a GT to swap over, when in the end, your probably better off swapping over the body panels to the GT lol

get a forged 4.2, H/C/I, among some other ****, and pay about the same to have more power than a stock GT and comparable to a mach1 ... throw some boost on and look at the mach1 in your mirror.

#39 ·
No. The 98 has a n/a 4.6 4v. The biggest factory engine in a cobra was the 95 with. 351w 5.8. The 00 cobra however has a 5.4 4v that is also n/a. On one that was s/c was the 03-04.

#48 ·
You could safely get 350 rwhp out of your V6 for a while with a single turbo setup. You're still going to want a beter rear end, or at least have a detroit tru-trac put in with gears. Your T-5 won't hold up that long, depending on how you drive it I guess. Getting a junkyard tranny wouldn't be a good idea when you want to make something powerful.

You could also go the route of heads/cam/intake/supercharger, but why when it's so much easier to get more power/better power band with a turbo?

I'm going to be doing a 2v 4.6 swap later on, but for now I'm working on finishing my TT setup for the V6 in the car now. Of course, I'm not just going to put a stock 2v in, that wouldn't be any fun. But I do have to throw a ton of money out on other stuff...probably $2500 for a transmission to hold so me power, $700 to somewhat build an 8.8, another couple hundred on new struts and alignment, and then probably $3500 need to go into the 4.6 for rotating assembly and cams. Then subframe connectors at least. THese are just some basic things you should have when you want to make power.

And just so you know, the stock 2v 4.6 in only good to maybe 400 at the wheels too. So only 60 or so more than the 3.8. It really depends how far you want to go with it.

#51 ·
-TR-3650
-Single T4/not entirely
-Manifolds, exhaust, install an inter-cooler, and forged internals.
-Build a good engine, trans, and rear end, then start working on stuff to keep the power-flow to the ground.

#53 ·
T4 is a flange size on a turbo. If you want a good manual though, start looking into a built tr3650 or a built t5. It will be expensive for sure buyer the powertrain (you doing all the work) will put you easily at 5k. Lots more if you can't built an engine trans and rearend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.