Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 mustang that unfortunately has blown its headgasket. It'd be cheaper just swapping in a new engine instead of fixing it. However I did find a $200 mustang parts car with a working 2.3L engine on my local Craigslist. Has such a swap been done before? Besides engine mounts, what else would be needed to make the 2.3L work on my car that has a 5.0L engine?

·
Banned
3,511 Posts
Trans is different as well obviously. Wiring harness, ECU, etc...should be easy enough. But at that point why not turbo it?

And what year is the parts car?

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
If the parts car is the same year as your v8 car, everything would swap.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Just swap the engine trans and harness

Dont cut anything.

·
Registered
756 Posts
You can have an Explorer engine shipped to your door for $500 or found in the yard for less. Save a little longer and have a better setup!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Why put a V6 in it? If hes going to do a swap thats not direct bolt it (like a 2,3L) why not do a modular V8??

·
Registered
756 Posts
Why put a V6 in it? If hes going to do a swap thats not direct bolt it (like a 2,3L) why not do a modular V8??
Not sure what you mean?

The Explorer 5.0 engine comes with GT40 or GT40p heads depending on year and a cast GT40 intake. Nice little HP bump for a little more cash. Bolts right in place of his current engine, just has to swap accessories, etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can have an Explorer engine shipped to your door for $500 or found in the yard for less. Save a little longer and have a better setup!
I'm with this guy... swapping engines because of a HG seems kinda silly. I would just find a rebuilt 302 or a decent used one.
(assuming there is damage to the engine internals due to the HG failure... if the engine is fine, then just surface the heads and replace the HG....)
Are you performing the work yourself, or is it going into a shop?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
+1 i forgot the explorer used the 5.0. I tought you meant the v6. I dont see many 5.0 explorers, or hardly any for that matter..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts