Modded Mustang Forums banner

Swapping a 2.3L engine into a 1987 5.0?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ranger50toy 
#1 ·
I have a 1987 mustang that unfortunately has blown its headgasket. It'd be cheaper just swapping in a new engine instead of fixing it. However I did find a $200 mustang parts car with a working 2.3L engine on my local Craigslist. Has such a swap been done before? Besides engine mounts, what else would be needed to make the 2.3L work on my car that has a 5.0L engine?

#6 ·
You can have an Explorer engine shipped to your door for $500 or found in the yard for less. Save a little longer and have a better setup!

#10 ·
I'm with this guy... swapping engines because of a HG seems kinda silly. I would just find a rebuilt 302 or a decent used one.
(assuming there is damage to the engine internals due to the HG failure... if the engine is fine, then just surface the heads and replace the HG....)
Are you performing the work yourself, or is it going into a shop?

#7 ·
Why put a V6 in it? If hes going to do a swap thats not direct bolt it (like a 2,3L) why not do a modular V8??

#8 ·
Not sure what you mean?

The Explorer 5.0 engine comes with GT40 or GT40p heads depending on year and a cast GT40 intake. Nice little HP bump for a little more cash. Bolts right in place of his current engine, just has to swap accessories, etc.

#11 ·
+1 i forgot the explorer used the 5.0. I tought you meant the v6. I dont see many 5.0 explorers, or hardly any for that matter..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.