Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Swapping valve springs out!

Well Im in the middle of my install of comp's 127500's and comp springs, and I have run into a few issues..

First off I couldn't get a compression tester that had enough thread on it to screw into the spark plug hole. Spent sometime with the parts store, and online and couldn't find anything. So I made my own up, It has the 12mm x 1.25 thread on it, along with the Oring, and its about 10 inch's long, with a 1/4-18 NPT on the back side of it, so you can hook it up to your air compressor.. That works awesome now..

The next thing I ran into is that the Freedom spring compressor tool wasn't really made for changing springs out.. The leg of the tool that sits on the surface of the head, covers up the spark plug hole.:eek: Plus I didn't really care for the steel tool on the aluminum head.. So after looking at it, I grabed the hack saw and sawed off about 2 inch's of the leg.. Then I took some wood and made up a 2 inch block, and took a half round wood file and filed a groove in it to allow for it to fit around the spark plug hole..

This worked really good also, not only do I not have to worry about nicking the head up, It also makes for easy on and off because its now two different parts.. Getting to the #8 cyc isn't an issue now!

I did 6 springs last night just to try things out, and once I got going it wasn't bad at all, just alittle putzy.. I found using a magnet to remove the 2 spring retainers/tapered parts, to be the best option, and when I had the new spring and retainer on, and had it compressed, I would then use a small flat screwdriver with just a dap of grease on it to hold the little tapered retainer, to work great. It would hold it nicely, and then once it was on the valve stem, I would just slide the screwdrive up, not back, and leave the retainer in place while I put the other one on.. Then release the spring compressor..

After doing some reasearch I think if I was to do it again I would buy the Ford spring compressor tool, that one looks like it has two legs that sit on the head that are spread apart to go around the spark plug hole..

So I don't know if anyone has done springs on a late 08 -09 4.6, but if you have I would be interested in hearing what you used for tools, because I couldn't find anyone anywhere that made a compression tester adapter that had long enough threads..

After Im all done if anyone wants to try and do this and can't find the tools I'd be more than happy to loan out the ones I have made up..

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
the ford spring compressor isn't sturdy enough to compress high load springs like those comp springs. you're much better off with that freedom racing tool

1 - 2 of 2 Posts