Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not trying to get a big arguement going lol im just wondering if its necessary and mostly why do people do it? is it because they plan on revving the engine higher or because the bigger cams compress the springs more than the stock cams?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did when I put Hi-Tech stage 2 cams in. If you're into the head anyways, it's not a bad idea. Took me less than two hours with proper tools. Although if you're running a stage 1 or 2 it's not exactly necessary.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
It's not necessary and even counterproductive with most company's "stage 1" cams. Stiffer springs = more hp lost to turning the cams.

I'm currently using the stock valve springs with 451 rwhp, Comp 262ah cams, 6500 rpm shifts, 12psi boost.

If/when I up my boost and spin the motor harder, I'll upgrade the valve springs then.

·
I like boobs!!!
3,869 Posts
Not necessary with stage 1 cams, and if you have Romeo heads it's a bitch, even more of a bitch with the heads installed in the car if you don't have a way to pressureize the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Not necessary with stage 1 cams, and if you have Romeo heads it's a bitch, even more of a bitch with the heads installed in the car if you don't have a way to pressureize the cylinder to keep the valves from dropping.
Use a 1" dowel rod instead of the actual cam and bring the particular cylinder you're working on to TDC and the valve won't fall in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts