Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, does anyone have first hand real results with removing either the front or rear or both sway bars to improve 1/4 mile times? My car has most of the the typical suspension mods already: lowered with different springs, FLSFC's (welded), upper and lower control arms replaced, 4:10 gears, locker rear end etc. Still can't hook worth a damn (mostly a tire issue but new Nitto 555r's are on their way). Just thinkning about if it's worth the time to remove the sway bars for the extra weight transfer. I also recently added a rear axle stifferner too (Swarr bar from AM). My 60' times suck, and I've tried easing out the clutch, launching anywhere from 2k to 4k etc, but wheel spin is killing me. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Lowering springs and weight transfer will never go hand in hand. Honestly, I wouldn't imagine it would help much if you've got stiff lowering springs. You're not going to get the weight to transfer magically by unhooking the swaybar.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am doubting it too. Bad thing is the springs were on the car when I got it, and there was an in between owner so no real info on what springs they are, although I was told they are 4 cylinder springs but then they are nice new blue poweder coated and the care def sits lower than stock. Ride is a little stiff but not horrible

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i checked the list I got from the seller. Says "fox body 4 cyliner springs up front and V8 springs in rear". anyone have any more help or thoughts?

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I pull my front sway bar off when I go to the track..You can definatly feel the nose of the car lift alot more, plus its about 15lbs off the front end so that cant hurt either. Best Ive managed is 1.7x 60ft with my steeda comp springs (pretty stiff) and 16in MT ET Streets.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Lowering springs and weight transfer will never go hand in hand. Honestly, I wouldn't imagine it would help much if you've got stiff lowering springs. You're not going to get the weight to transfer magically by unhooking the swaybar.
Bullitt5339 is right.

You'd probably be better off experimenting with tire pressures and refining your own skills. :3gears

The new tires will make a big difference as well.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
I say its worth it... Its only a few nuts holding it in there and they are pretty esay to get to.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I managed a 1.86 60' time once (only time uner 2 seconds). Usually around 2.2, but I've only been down the track about 8 times total in two separate trips. Runni ng Sumitomo 275/40/17's on stock rims and they are crap for traction. Just ordered some 10.5 rims witnh 315/35/17 Nitto 555r's so that should help alot. It looks like I have the clearance for them from what I can tell. Should be here in a couple of days, and heading to the strip again in about 3 weeks weather premitting.

·
Registered
255 Posts
track don't open till 29 so i got enuff time to wrk on these little bugs.. bov,swaybar.. prolly come up with few more before the time comes

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Can't hurt anything, but tires are your main problem. Once you get a sticky set of tires on there, your 60ft performance should see a significant improvement. If you do have sticky tires on the way, might as well stop messing with stuff on your current setup, because you will need to learn how to launch the car all over again going from street tires.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Can't hurt anything, but tires are your main problem. Once you get a sticky set of tires on there, your 60ft performance should see a significant improvement. If you do have sticky tires on the way, might as well stop messing with stuff on your current setup, because you will need to learn how to launch the car all over again going from street tires.
:withstupid

Tires will be a night and day difference, they were the best bang for the buck besides the supercharger for me. Ive seen almost a second difference on et slips by switching from street tires to sticky tires. But be carefull with stock axles and sticky rubber:yes

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
car has 31 spline axles, spec 3 clutch, aluminum driveshaft, billet flywheel, driveshaft loop, welded axle tubes, and like I said I just added the Swarr Bar axle reinforcement to it so hopefully I'm in decent shape for strength.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I noticed an improvement with the front sway bar removed. You can unhook it at the endlinks and see how you like it. It takes a few days to get used to but if after a week or so you dont mind how the car rides it wont hurt anything to removed it completely.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Like others have said tires are the most important mod you can make to pick up ET.

My front sway bar is removed.
The car handles like crap in the turns now but when I stomp on the gas the rear tires get planted.
I cut a best of 1.57 60'.
It was one of the modifications that helped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts