Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was filling up at the gas station tonight a guy pulled up and offered me some chrome BBK shorties for $50 and new they go for $180. He said they're on his 89 and he needs to get rid of them. My Mac's are warped and I have a terrible exhaust leak because of it. Should I snag them? If I get them I wanna try to find a nice BBK or other brand x-pipe because my Mac o/r h-pipe will not line up with BBK headers... Sound like a good plan? :cool:

Oh and what do you guys recommend brand wise for an o/r xpipe? Pypes has the cheapest one but would it mate up with the BBK shorties? Or should I just stick with a bbk midpipe? Also, what about the summit brand xpipes?

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
If they are the $180 unequal ones, make sure they are in good shape including the studs on the ball end. That $180 price new includes all of the bolts and the gaskets and being plain old steel/chrome, they do corrode easy. That could be a lot of work for old cheap headers but for $50 though, it sounds better than what you have now. Personally, I would spend some more and get a pair of BBK ceramic equals and do it once and be done with it.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
bbk's will be much better then your mac's just because of the fact that it's a full flange design so warping isn't really an issue with them unlike mac and flowtechs etc.

also i have those bbk's on my dailiy driver 88 hatch and they bolted up to the 2.5" o/r pypes xpipe fine so if you wanted to go with pypes it should work without a problem for you.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bbk's will be much better then your mac's just because of the fact that it's a full flange design so warping isn't really an issue with them unlike mac and flowtechs etc.

also i have those bbk's on my dailiy driver 88 hatch and they bolted up to the 2.5" o/r pypes xpipe fine so if you wanted to go with pypes it should work without a problem for you.
Ok cool thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks man. I'm gonna check them out first and make sure they're not beat to hell and corroded. But if they're in good shape I'm gonna get em and save up for a pypes x pipe :D

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are the $180 unequal ones, make sure they are in good shape including the studs on the ball end. That $180 price new includes all of the bolts and the gaskets and being plain old steel/chrome, they do corrode easy. That could be a lot of work for old cheap headers but for $50 though, it sounds better than what you have now. Personally, I would spend some more and get a pair of BBK ceramic equals and do it once and be done with it.
Well, I have my current bolts and gaskets aren't that much so I'm not really worried about that...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I bought some bbk headers for 80 and they where on a 5.0 for a month I bolted them up and they worked great when ever I have a bad stud I can always go to the muffler shop and install new stud bolts.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Weren't you the one saying your Mac stuff fit great with no issues?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
just keep an eye out on c/l and get a set of long tubes.. then the h pipe is cheaper and easier to work with.

but if you do get those cut the welds down that are on the inside of them to help them flow a little.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
just keep an eye out on c/l and get a set of long tubes.. then the h pipe is cheaper and easier to work with.

but if you do get those cut the welds down that are on the inside of them to help them flow a little.
Longtubes = fail emissions though correct?.. I dont have to do it for 2 years but still

What are the benefits of longtubes on a DD street car?

Summit has their brand longtubes for $100. Looks like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Longtubes = fail emissions though correct?.. I dont have to do it for 2 years but still

What are the benefits of longtubes on a DD street car?

Summit has their brand longtubes for $100. Looks like a good deal. Anyone have any experience with them?
As long as the car has catalytic converters it should pass. may fail visual inspection.

long tubes on the street? How about torque and more power across the whole rpm band

and summit long tubes are cheap - exactly what they are.. they work.. but there are better options

1 - 14 of 14 Posts