Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Performance 308

I've used these guys and this long block twice now, never had a problem. thought I'd share it with anyone looking to score some high dollar parts for a low price.

Although i really have no idea how they sell this so cheap. however, nothing appeared to be used, everything was as stated, and i've been EXTREMELY happy with it.

But I think the hp/tq numbers are a little bogus. And I'm trying to figure out what a "flat-top piston w/ valve reliefs" is. Seems like, by nature, that would NOT be a flat top. Go figure.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
0.040 over stock block is kinda pushing your luck isn't it? Why did you use them twice? First one crack?

·
Registered
334 Posts
IDK about the reputation/reliability of that company/person, but $2,950 shipped is a damn good price.

The hp/tq numbers definitely look off too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my experience .060 (310ci) over is pushing it, .040 is perfectly safe. Well, "perfectly safe" in my mustang terminology means you're not likely to have detonation.

2 motors= 2 different cars. Never had reliability issues. Just got awful mileage pre-tune. like....12mpgish.

Post tune&chip (Absolute performance, Salt Lake city UT, $550) I had around 327rwhp. That was with the TFS streetheat upper and lower, MSD ignition/distributor/9mm wires, Granatelli 70mm MAF, 30# injectors (too big, was part of future plans), bbk 70mm tb, mac o/r h-pipe and 2.5" mac dumps. Got about 18mpg around town, too. Never did run any FI like I planned, but I don't have either car anymore/anyways. Marriage= Boo for my cars.

Pre tune and chip was like 240. Can you say ouch?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
87rwhp from a tune on a N\A motor. thats hard to believe..

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
IDK about the reputation/reliability of that company/person, but $2,950 shipped is a damn good price.

The hp/tq numbers definitely look off too.
yeah i would say they are off..

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
From my experience .060 (310ci) over is pushing it, .040 is perfectly safe. Well, "perfectly safe" in my mustang terminology means you're not likely to have detonation.

2 motors= 2 different cars. Never had reliability issues. Just got awful mileage pre-tune. like....12mpgish.

Post tune&chip (Absolute performance, Salt Lake city UT, $550) I had around 327rwhp. That was with the TFS streetheat upper and lower, MSD ignition/distributor/9mm wires, Granatelli 70mm MAF, 30# injectors (too big, was part of future plans), bbk 70mm tb, mac o/r h-pipe and 2.5" mac dumps. Got about 18mpg around town, too. Never did run any FI like I planned, but I don't have either car anymore/anyways. Marriage= Boo for my cars.

Pre tune and chip was like 240. Can you say ouch?
Usually the larger the bore the less detonation you have due to increased quench area, so I'm not sure what you meant above. I would be concerned making power with a 0.040 over bore and a late model 302 block... I bet the walls are thinner than 0.100". I guess different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheap parts, folks. All I'm saying. Add them up, it's worth far more than the cost. Even considering throwing away the block.

Regardless what your concerns about the thin walls may be =P

For god's sake, I'm not selling it. I BOUGHT it. Just a friendly tip.

·
Registered
377 Posts
And I'm trying to figure out what a "flat-top piston w/ valve reliefs" is. Seems like, by nature, that would NOT be a flat top. Go figure.
It is a flat-top piston with butterfly cuts for piston to valve clearance allowing a more aggresive cam.

Still a flat-top.

Dished pistons are a different story.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It is a flat-top piston with butterfly cuts for piston to valve clearance allowing a more aggresive cam.

Still a flat-top.

Dished pistons are a different story.
Well it has the trick Flow heads so dont they have to cut the pistons for the twisted wedge valve configuration?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I ran twisted wedge and I didn't have to cut the pistons.

Oh I did not know for sure I never used them I run AFR's. You must not had a big cam and had lots of clearance because I think the pistons have to be cut a certain way for them. I am sure someone will know..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh I did not know for sure I never used them I run AFR's. You must not had a big cam and had lots of clearance because I think the pistons have to be cut a certain way for them. I am sure someone will know..
you need valve reliefs on the exhaust side, if you run domed it's a whole different story

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
It was an e cam, so no, not very big. I'll let you know when I get my motor together in the next month or two. Higher comp pistons, bigger cam, same heads. My pistons are valve relief, but standard style, not TW style, so we'll see what happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts