Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, weems told me to get up with ya, but I need a little bit of help from alot of people...

I am aboutto shoot my car and put it down... I'm tired of it.

I have a vaccuum leak so it seems. I've thrown the P0174 and P0171 codes at the same time twice now. Both showing lean conditions in bank 1 and 2. I checked for vaccuum leaks earlier today by doing the carb cleaner thing. I got nothing. So I took everything off (plenum, tb, intake) and inspected and reseated everything. Nothing.

I've deducted it to about 3 things but I cannot pin point it. MAF, IAC, or the O ring on the intake manifold to the plenum. It looked fine, but I still have doubts especially with 83K miles.

Also, does the stock TB have a gasket that is between the plenum and the tb?

Any help?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Yes there is a gasket in between the TB and plenum.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
+1 if you have a tuner, you should be able to see what kind of vacum your car is making anytime. do that to see if there might be an issue there. you can also see what the MAF is doing as well. if it were me, i would be checking frps readings, and possibly look at the injectors.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found said gasket... It fell near the exhaust. The hissing seemed to be coming from the intake manifold, iac, plenum, injector area... Do you think it could be that o ring on the manifold?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just from problems I've had on other cars of mine the gasket that goes in between to tb and plenum can cause idling problems and lean conditions due to unmetered air being sucked in with no extra fuel. Try the gasket as it is cheap and then if you know somebody that works at a good shop they should have a computer they can hook up that can read all your sensors voltages. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you can hear a hissing pull your injectors off and make sure non of them have a missing or tore o-ring.

·
I'm cool..
2,277 Posts
Well, weems told me to get up with ya, but I need a little bit of help from alot of people...

I am aboutto shoot my car and put it down... I'm tired of it.

I have a vaccuum leak so it seems. I've thrown the P0174 and P0171 codes at the same time twice now. Both showing lean conditions in bank 1 and 2. I checked for vaccuum leaks earlier today by doing the carb cleaner thing. I got nothing. So I took everything off (plenum, tb, intake) and inspected and reseated everything. Nothing.

I've deducted it to about 3 things but I cannot pin point it. MAF, IAC, or the O ring on the intake manifold to the plenum. It looked fine, but I still have doubts especially with 83K miles.

Also, does the stock TB have a gasket that is between the plenum and the tb?

Any help?
What makes you so sure that it is a vaccuum leak? I through both codes and turned out my culprit was a faulty o2 sensor. Did you check to see if that's the problem?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
There are two o-rings on the injectors. One on top inside the fuel rail on the neck of the injector and then one on the bottom just above the pintle cap. If the bottom one is missing or tore it will just spray fuel into the motor like normal with no fuel comming out to tell it's leaking.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
So yes or no on checking the o2s?

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Just from problems I've had on other cars of mine the gasket that goes in between to tb and plenum can cause idling problems and lean conditions due to unmetered air being sucked in with no extra fuel. Try the gasket as it is cheap and then if you know somebody that works at a good shop they should have a computer they can hook up that can read all your sensors voltages. Just a suggestion.
I like this.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
it takes quiet a bit of unmetered air generally to create a lean issue. usually there will be an idle issue to begin with then car will have hard time to stay alive. early crap? 120k miles? no, the intake is either good or bad. if the injector is having issue and leaking into cylinder without ecu knowing about it, then it will create a lean condition. if the top o-ring is messed up at all, the fuel will leak externally.

check
o2's
fuel rail pressure
spark plugs
MAF voltage (doubt this is issue but may be)
fuel filter
injectors

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reps when I can get to a computer man. Thanks.

I just changed the fuel filter the other day.

What would cause the whistling sound sweet? My will whistle if I put any throttle into it. I rechecked the bolts everywhere and they're all tight.

Also, I can distinctly hear a hissing sound coming from around tb, plenum area. All gaskets are there and bolts are seated...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts