Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership messed my clearcoat up before I got it.. Must of been dropping the sponge then washing the car. I have light scratches and swirls everywhere I havent had painted. I really need some help finding a product that Fills clear coat scratches or does something to dull them alot.
I have a Black Car so I am reluctant to use ANYTHING without somone having previous Luck with it. I tried Meguirs Scratch X which dulled them very very little... I am very OCD about my paint job because I clean and touch up my car EVERY night during the summer and I am just starting to get around to doing it now...
So please Any products REGARDLESS of price...

I know this is the wrong section but I never get replies in the Visual section... Help my out before this gets moved...

-Joe

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
black is tough, when i painted cars we used a highspeed buffer with a rubbing compound, then polish it out with a polish pad, on the bad scratches you can wet sand with 2000grit, but you can **** a car up if youve never done it

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I have never done it before.. I never use a buffer on my car either... I always take the wax off using a soft cloth...

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
yea its tough to get it looking good again with out a buff, and black is the worst color. can you catch a nail on any of the scrathces?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Take it to a good reputable paint and body shop and have them wet sand and buff it. That will take it all out and make it look new again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
i wouldnt recommend picking up a high speed buffer unless you know how to use it, cause you could burn the paint, but i think a high speed buffer would take it out

·
Registered
161 Posts
Alloy on mine. I went to the BMW/Ferrari dealer and asked the Used Car Manager to recommend a good detail shop. The guy was amazing he wet sanded buffed and polished it to a totally FLAT (no orange peel) slick shine.

It wasn't cheap but I am getting ready to have the same guy do my new Expy. He charged me $350.00 for the stang and said $450 for the Expy. The stang got what I would consider a complete detail. The engine compartment was clean but not overly shiny and the interior was treated with leather treatment. NO smelly stuff! A good one is kind of hard to find on your own because they are ususally busy with high dollar customers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue with mine after a few washes. I went to my local Spraymaster Automotive paint store for advice. Guy there said buy a high speed buffer and 3M Perfectit 3000 wax. You will not find this in Autozone or Pepboys. You will have to go to a pro shop to find it by the way a large bottle cost me 35.00. Also, dont be afraid of the HS buffer on this because this wax works its magic at the lowest rpm setting. I would work a 2 by 2 section with four passes then buff with a finishing cloth/microfiber. This wax is best if you do not allow it to dry. Did exactly what I wanted. The guy at the shop said body shops use this when they are finishing paint work on High end vehicles that typically have difficult owners....

One done I would finish with a coat of Meguires 26 wax or Techwax for a protectant layer. The 3M stuff is just a polish/scratch remover....I have tried the Scratch X and painted waxes...but this by far has given me the best results...Ill post pics of my car in a day or two.

·
Born to be Wild
3,179 Posts
My dealership messed my clearcoat up before I got it.. Must of been dropping the sponge then washing the car.

-Joe
Dude, make the dealership fix it, (if) they did it....otherwise good luck

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
My dealership messed my clearcoat up before I got it.. Must of been dropping the sponge then washing the car. I have light scratches and swirls everywhere I havent had painted. I really need some help finding a product that Fills clear coat scratches or does something to dull them alot.
I have a Black Car so I am reluctant to use ANYTHING without somone having previous Luck with it. I tried Meguirs Scratch X which dulled them very very little... I am very OCD about my paint job because I clean and touch up my car EVERY night during the summer and I am just starting to get around to doing it now...
So please Any products REGARDLESS of price...

I know this is the wrong section but I never get replies in the Visual section... Help my out before this gets moved...

-Joe
Dealerships are terrible about that. You have a kid whos getting paid 10 bucks an hour and could care less. When I ordered mine I told the guy that I didnt want it detailed or any plastic removed. I didnt want anyone else touching my car. I would never let a dealership wash/detail your car!!

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Clay the spot, then you use a cleaner wax, then a polish wax and then a protective wax. All meguiars product.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
A good detail shop will take care of it.... There isn't anything wrong with the paint it is just the finish... Then get the good stuff to maintain it.. I get my car pro detailed twice a year... then all ya gotta do between is wash it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here ya go.... Menzerna Ultimate Detailing Machine Ultimate Shine Kit with FREE BONUS!

Learn how to use it and never again go thru a automated car wash (that touches the car with ANYTHING other than water).
do boi nu goi cam do lot nu dep ta so sinh quan ao ban buon quan ao ban buon cho thue trang phuc chup anh
A good detail (with paint correction) will cost you more than this kit ... but you'll be able to maintain the paint yourself. There's a LOT more satisfaction in doing it yourself, all of this assuming you can dedicate some time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
yeaa my car is black as well, try avoiding scratches on thatt =) i just waxed mine today with the 31 degree weather =(

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I guess I am just a little lazy... plus I would rather spend the time driving.. I have them do th whole car inside and out, under the hood and the trunk. Cost me $100 each time but I feel it is worth it.... options are good

Reactions: joeice14

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here ya go.... Menzerna Ultimate Detailing Machine Ultimate Shine Kit with FREE BONUS!

Learn how to use it and never again go thru a automated car wash (that touches the car with ANYTHING other than water).

A good detail (with paint correction) will cost you more than this kit ... but you'll be able to maintain the paint yourself. There's a LOT more satisfaction in doing it yourself, all of this assuming you can dedicate some time.

Agreed.

Also most swirl are made by washing you need to also get yourself some good washing products. A couple 5 gallon buckets some lambswool wash mitts and do not use the same mitt on the entire car. I use three mitts for washing all my vehicles. One for the upper half one for the midway point and one strictly for the lowere rocker panels that see alll the heavy grime.

Also check out this place it has tons of great advice and how tos on keeping that car looking better than new.

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax

This is the reason I give the dealership strict orders NOT to even wash my new vehicles when they arrive. I make them leave all the packing plastic and everything on it and I bring it home and do it myself.

Reactions: timberwolf

·
Registered
54 Posts
$100 will get you a decent clean-up .... you know, the crap none of us like to do. But when it comes to paint correction, it's HOURS of work and will cost more than a 100 (2-3X that). Pull the car out in the sun and look at the paint from different angles and you'll see all the swirls, nicks and blemishes. A simple "buff" won't get rid of that stuff, but will make it shine. Mine was swirled BAD the day I picked it up at the dealer. The real difference is when it's done right; show car stuff, from average factory paint. The old saying "Showroom New" is BS, it looks WAY better than the day I got it. do boi nu dep do lot nu cao cap khan so sinh ban buon quan ao ban buon quan ao cho thue trang phuc

1 - 20 of 54 Posts