Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have heard some stuff about it if i want it professionly done what it may cost or if i have help by some mechanic friends what will i need .. sorry kind of new to the modding world but i love it so much

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I would say your looking at probably around $6-8k if you have it done at a shop and probably $4k if you did all the work yourself. You would be better off selling your car and buying a 5 speed than doing the swap.

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Whats the reason for change? I mean there are prob some guys online who would want to swap there Manuals for Autos....Could do a even exchange and save money that way.

I love my auto. Regardless of who says what.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I did this swap back in '05. I don't think the 2nd guy even did it until about a year after that. I created an online ''how to'' manual back then too. It's a little outdated, but you'll at least get the parts list and a thorough explanation of what needs to be done. Bottom line...it's a fairly easy swap and shouldn't cost much at all especially considering you can sell the take off parts or find a buddy who wants the exact reverse swap. Going to auto from manny is a bit more involved. I recommend you replace the engine/transmission portion of the wiring harness unlike what I did which was modify the automatic harness. That will take some electrical skills, soldering, etc.

Here's the manual> Auto to Manual Trans ''How to'' guide - Mustang Forums at StangNet

·
Registered
535 Posts
Look in the classifieds in Mustang forums and Ebay. I've seen transmissions for very reasonable prices when owners are changing over to 6 speeds and include shifters, pcms ect.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I was going to point you to Anthony over on Modular, forgot he came on over here. He was the first ever from what I know and you'd be wise to entertain his thoughts on the subject..

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thanks Emay. Ackronberg, I've helped a few people through this over the net with great results. One kid on modularfords was 17 years old, never once touched any wrenches. He was the first person to do the auto to manny swap on a V-6 last year. I had him on IM and walked him through every step. His dad was pissed at him for messing with the car, but ended up crying when his son actually pulled out of the driveway trouble free. I didn't even know the kid and I was proud as hell. That's a real go-getter for ya!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts