Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should i go with? im gonna pull the irs out of the cobra and go with a solid axle. im approaching 700hp now and i plan on switching out to a mammouth and should be well over 800 to the wheels so im scared im gonna absolutely anhialate the irs. but will a well built 8.8 hold up either? i was thinking about an 8.8 with 36 spline axles and 4.10's as well as an lsd.

any opinions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
noone has an opinion at all?

woohoo 100 posts!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i have a company here called pyle brothers that can build me a very nice unit. i would build my irs but its the 01' irs not the 03'-04' so to me its really not worth it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I did the swap, holds up nice at the track. I used an eaton lsd, moser 31 spline axles and 4:10s. Also put some aftermarket upper and lower control arms.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i finally got it running good but when i really get on it it feels like the rear end is walking on me? 1st gear is pretty useless it spins through,2nd grabs and goes but when i shift to 3rd and get to the mid rpm range it feels like the rear end is gonna literally come out from under the car!!! is this the weak rear end?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'll trade you my solid 8.8 :)

I have been looking pretty hard the past few weeks for someone wanting to swap. I'm sick of the solid for my purposes. I want a nice cruiser.

You're in Texas but if you ever want to swap lets arrange a trip to Michigan :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll trade you my solid 8.8 :)

I have been looking pretty hard the past few weeks for someone wanting to swap. I'm sick of the solid for my purposes. I want a nice cruiser.

You're in Texas but if you ever want to swap lets arrange a trip to Michigan :)
if you were local i would do it in a heartbeat:yes,but with a wife and 2 kids that depend on me daily i dont think a roadtrip to michigan will go over very well:no

but if you want to work something ou on shipping......:dunno ......lmk.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
if you were local i would do it in a heartbeat:yes,but with a wife and 2 kids that depend on me daily i dont think a roadtrip to michigan will go over very well:no

I figured since it was a shot in the dark :)

Which year is it? 01 or 03/04? What would you want for it? Shipping is roughly 300 or so on top to get it here. You'd probably pay the same for getting mine there.

Probably not worth it but if you can ever get up this way for a weekend we could knock it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured since it was a shot in the dark :)

Which year is it? 01 or 03/04? What would you want for it? Shipping is roughly 300 or so on top to get it here. You'd probably pay the same for getting mine there.

Probably not worth it but if you can ever get up this way for a weekend we could knock it out.

its the 01' the one out of the termi i swapped the drivetrain out of was in bad shape.

and another question everyone is telling me to stick with 3:55 gears instead of 3:73's or 4:10's any suggestions on this??? :dunno

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
its the 01' the one out of the termi i swapped the drivetrain out of was in bad shape.

and another question everyone is telling me to stick with 3:55 gears instead of 3:73's or 4:10's any suggestions on this??? :dunno
With that much power, I wouldn't go to lower gears. You'll just start having traction problems.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At most go with 3.73's. Anything more is overkill with the T-56 IMO.
so i should just stick with the 3:55's? because i already have traction issues with the 3:55's and drag radials!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

ill go to you only if we swap engines too:D

i really dont feel a big difference between the solid axle and the irs??? just more grip with the solid

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ill go to you only if we swap engines too:D

i really dont feel a big difference between the solid axle and the irs??? just more grip with the solid

as tempting as that is (cough,cough) i will have to pass:no

im just worried about breakage.

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
If only I had an 8.8 to trade you...I would love to put IRS in my sixxer :(

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
a built 8.8 is very very stout! a properly built 31 spline set up will hold more than that 800rwhp.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have a 8.8 solid axle from my 94 ill trade ya

1 - 20 of 23 Posts