Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's quite a few of these threads out there, but most of them are asking "Which is better" which is not what I'm asking.

I bought the American Thunder catback about two months ago with the Super 40's (Flow Master) and I just don't like the sound. It's not loud enough. It's not mean enough. I was expecting a really aggressive pitch from these, simply because I had a Flow-Master on my first vehicle (Chevy Silverado, 5.7L v8) which was ridiculously loud and sounded mean AF

Now, I'm wanting to switch the exhaust out. I'm curious as to the mufflers that have the meaner tone to them? I'm thinking about switching to Borla, but I'm not sure yet. The other thing is, I'm hoping I can keep the 2.5in piping, so I don't have to spend an extra $300 if not, that's understandable, but.... I'm not rich D:

I don't mind paying good money for a good exhaust, so offer anything.

I've looked at SLP, Borla, Magnapacks. I just can't figure out what I want to do...

I'm using the stock mid-pipe/headers, Have to keep in emissions legal down here in texas, considering I don't know much about the emissions I probably won't be changing anything else out for a bit. (Mid pipe) I will however purchase headers later on, although I heard they are a pain to install without something to lift the engine.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no emissions in Texas :)

LM1 If you want loud

Ive got lt, off road x, and lm1
No emissions, Texas... What is this? Where do you live? I'm taking a drive for my next inspection.
EDIT: Derp, didn't read it. Stephenville.... Hmmm.. a few hours away....
No emissions you say?

·
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
249 Posts
Only counties that require an OBD2 emissions inspection are Dallas and surrounding and Houston and surrounding. Everywhere else is safety only, which is a visual and usually you know they guy so its a "cough cough your good"

Not sent from a stupid Apple device

·
( o )( o )
276 Posts
If you want a louder exhaust note you're going to have to ditch the stock mid pipes. Buy o/r x-pipe or h-pipe, it will flow way better, and give you a increase in exhaust tone. Note, sounding loud is one thing but to sound loud + good is another. ;)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
lm1 and catted x pipe or magnapacks and o/r x pipe are my favorite 2v setups.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
I know the feel bro. Theres 40's on my car right now, you hammer on it and it barely makes any noise... sounds ok in low RPM but i want everyone within a 1/4 mile to know im coming hahaha. Swapping out the 40's for SLP LM1 resonators in the spring!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Want louder exhaust you say? Add a Procharger. /end advert
hehe

·
Registered
85 Posts
SLP Loudmouth is by far one of the top loudest exhaust. Though they are not known for much tone. Borla's stingers would probably be the loudest with a good tone. Of course all of these opinions are purely subjunctive. Either way, they are right about the mid pipe. You gotta get rid of the stock one to get louder. The stock one is just too restrictive.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Off road H pipe or x , and flowmaster 10s are louder in the same class , Borla sounds good on the 2vs but it sounds better IMO on the 4vs, Lm1s sound sick but I love my o/r H and ten series flows its LOUD really ****ing LOUD and it sounds nasty nasty.
my .02

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there any Emissions Legal Mid-Pipes that sound good? I do happen to live in the Houston Area, so Emissions are gay >_> :cockblockedsad:

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
SLP Loudmouth is by far one of the top loudest exhaust. Though they are not known for much tone. Borla's stingers would probably be the loudest with a good tone. Of course all of these opinions are purely subjunctive. Either way, they are right about the mid pipe. You gotta get rid of the stock one to get louder. The stock one is just too restrictive.
I beg to differ. My SLP LM2s have plenty of tone. LM1s dont have any tone and are just plain loud if thats what you are referring to.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
if your looking just to be louder o/r x-pipe is your best bet with lm1's or lm2's. If your looking to sound good and loud replace x with an h-pipe.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I think my loudmouth 1's have a tone, "screaming tone" :) at low rpm i like how low and raspy it is. I love the crackle and the scream. I have a friend with an x and magnapacks as well and it sounds pretty great too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OP the midpipe is where the majority of the flow restriction is, not the catback. You can get a catted H or X pipe to wake up your flows while still passing emissions, or you can get some LM1s to go with your stock midpipe. LM1s sound great with a stock midpipe, and yield a tad more hp to boot. Youtube exhaust clips will help you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts