Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the rear diff bearings. While I have it apart I was thinking about switching to 4.10s. But after using the mighty search button I've seen some people say they aren't as good as 3.73s when your on the highway and want to mash it. My car is not a DD but I do drive some long trips with it and don't want to be in the slow lane. I do alot of just cruising with it, but I also do some 1/4 mile racing. And lots of burnouts

Here's my mods/info.
2000 GT
Automatic
3.73s
Nitto DR
Ford racing TB
CAI
bassini x-pipe
mac 3" exhaust
superchip tune
Eibech lowering springs
Steeda underdrive pullies

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
keep the 3:73's in the auto.

4:10's>3;73's with manual
3:73's>4:10's with auto.
IMO, that's my oppinion

but anyways....4:10's FTMFW

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Rev's would increase 9 % with 4.10's over 3.73's... that's not much at all. If you're doing 2700rpm at 70mph (just guessing) it'd be 2943 after the switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
keep the 3:73's in the auto.

4:10's>3;73's with manual
3:73's>4:10's with auto.
IMO, that's my oppinion

but anyways....4:10's FTMFW
ive always heard with an auto you want the higher gear then a stick, like 4.10s or even 4.30s

·
Registered
10,512 Posts

·
Banned
848 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
i've always heard the opposite because of the tranny's gear ratio. i could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
there really isnt much talk about auto tranny gear swaps out there...personally i wont run over the 3.73s in my car...i tach at almost 3k with the 3.73s at 80. my car is a daily driver and i drive on the highway every day.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I could see spending th extra cash to go from 3:27's to 4:10's while it was apart. Maybe even 3:55's to 4:10's, but not that much of a difference in one gear size for me to justify buying another set of gears. Thats just me though. Like they said, 200 rpm difference around 70 mph. Not really gonna be a big change in fuel mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the only reason i'm even considering changing them is b/c we have to take the rear apart anyway so I figure its not really going to cost me anything in labor to chnage the gears while were at it, plus i'm sure I can sell the 3.73s to offset the cost even more. I'm also thinking of upgrading to a better diff and 31 spin while i'm at it

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
i would suggest doing the 31 spline diff and axles now while its all apart if you have any plans of drag racing the car

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
I would honestly say( coming from having both gears) I would go with 3:90's if you do a half way decent amount of highway driving.

the 4:10's tend to lag a bit on the highway..
to get a good race in you have to be in at least 3rd gear and that's not happening at 65-70 mph without being very close to the top of your powerband.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
you already have 3:73's, do you have the feeling that you want a lower gear most of the time? are you happy or dissapointed with the 3:73's? point is, you have had the 3:73's for awhile so it is just a matter of what YOU want.this 4:10 vs 3:73 debate gets beat to death all the time. get what fits your driving habits

·
Registered
922 Posts
Get the 4.10 - you wont be dissapointed. I got rid of my 373s and Im extrememly glad I did it......And my car is my daily and I drive 30 miles a day on the interstate to and from work. people that give you BS about 4.10s have never had them.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Get the 4.10 - you wont be dissapointed. I got rid of my 373s and Im extrememly glad I did it......And my car is my daily and I drive 30 miles a day on the interstate to and from work. people that give you BS about 4.10s have never had them.
this true both way's,there are people that has had lower gears and are just flat tired of them on a dd.I am one,I have cars with 4:88's on up and flat got tired of low gears on a dd. sometimes the the best things for the best performance,cams,gears,loud exhaust, etc can wear on you. untill you experience this you won't know what i am talking about. If you have any doubt's you won't be happy till you experienced it. if that's the case get the lower gears,you won't know if they fit what your looking for if you don't

1 - 17 of 17 Posts