Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Overall I've had decent luck with my 3650. However 3rd is starting to grind fairly badly which I believe is synchros and will probably be rebuilding this winter. I'm going to blame the previous owner since it seemed to do it a little since I bought it :) 2nd shifts like a champ which is usually what people seem to have problems with though.

I think with the upgraded forks and synchros, it should be pretty stout for something with street tires.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
They both suck in my opinion, good luck finding the "updated" parts for the 3650. Mine is just a noisy clunky sloppy shifting piece of ****. **** YOU TREMEC

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
180,000 miles on my T45. No synchro problem but then again I don't tear them up power shifting. A couple of years ago I have had a problem with it hard to get back into gear if I have the motor running and let the clutch out when the transmission is in neutral and push the clutch back in. Otherwise its OK.

The T-3650 is designed for higher torque than a T-45 but mine has put up with 370 ft.lbs. for years. If you are buying new get a T-3650. You will love that overdrive gear.

·
UCC
250 Posts
T45 I have 165000 miles and no issues still shifts great, rarely grinds fifth

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
76 Posts
They both suck in my opinion, good luck finding the "updated" parts for the 3650. Mine is just a noisy clunky sloppy shifting piece of ****. **** YOU TREMEC
?? I've found them at a few places. Especially the later year OEM forks alone are an upgrade. Sorry if I struck a sore spot

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
They had multiple revisions for the 3650 with the 04 model being the best.
I have a 04 GT and it has held up to quiet a bit of nitrous launches and no lift power shifts just fine with 552 WTQ.

I have seen more T-45 failures than I have 3650 failures.

The yellow car called Brightmare making excess of 800whp on E-85 had a stock 3650 holding up at the track fine until they went to an auto to have faster times.

·
Supercharged Paper weight
51 Posts
Blew out the 3rd's synchro when having some fun with my buddy my 2nd is starting to go this is the main reason why it's making its way to the garage. What do you guys think should I keep my 3650 and try like hell to find some upgrade parts or go with a tko600 or possibly used t56 or maybe a pre built 3650 let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I would take the T45 any day of the week over the 3650. The weak link of the T45 is they do not have internal shift stops so if you have the stock shifter and are slamming gears hard you can bend a shift fork. If you have an aftermarket short shifter this isnt a problem. The T45's shift alot better than the 3650. The 3650 had all sorts of oil level issues, synchro issues, brand new trans that grinds gears...thats the 3650.

The T45 can actually be pretty damned bullet proof. The two less that great things about the T45 is the shift forks can break if shifting is abused with the stock shifter. The other issue is the gear sets are pretty heavy so synchronization isnt as smooth in the upper RPM shifting.... Both issues easily corrected if the trans is every rebuilt. T45 source builds some awesome T45s and you can just go online and buy the same kit of parts that Zak (owner of T45 source) uses and build your own bulletproof T45.

FWIW I'm running 600RWHP through a stock T45 right now. I run Nitto 555rs and a CF DF clutch. I dont power shift it but I beat on it hard. 3rd gear has been making noise for along time but it still shifts good. I will rock it until it breaks then put my other trans back in.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
?? I've found them at a few places. Especially the later year OEM forks alone are an upgrade. Sorry if I struck a sore spot
Lol you didn't strike a sore spot..its just that they are junk and there is no excuse for it. I mean seriously how do you make a transmission where the fill plug is to high and can cause issues...or just put shitty synchros in it...NO EXCUSE! Like stated earlier **** YOU TREMEC!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
my 99 GT has a T-45 with 206,300 miles on it, shifts like butter. very rarely it does get difficult to shift from 2nd to 3rd. i have driven my friends 04 GT with the "good" 3650 and it was loud, noise, clunky and the shifts were notchy. but that could have been his pro 5.0 shifter.
Its not the shifter lol that just the basics function of the 3650. Ford should told them to take a hike and buy from someone who actually cared. Not care about getting it at a low cost and being ****ing junk!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lol you didn't strike a sore spot..its just that they are junk and there is no excuse for it. I mean seriously how do you make a transmission where the fill plug is to high and can cause issues...or just put shitty synchros in it...NO EXCUSE! Like stated earlier **** YOU TREMEC!
lol ok cool, it just seemed like I did from the response of the all caps f bomb :) It just doesn't seem like they're THAT bad compared to the T-45 or others, especially the later year ones. I've never had issues with the fill plug or anything other than 3rd starting to grind, which will be fixed with the upgraded forks and synchros. I do fill the fluid from over the shifter though for what that's worth.

Its not the shifter lol that just the basics function of the 3650. Ford should told them to take a hike and buy from someone who actually cared. Not care about getting it at a low cost and being ****ing junk!
For what it's worth, I'd probably take a 3650 over an MT-82 in regards to that.. But I'd take a TR6060 over them both :)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yeah the mt82 is pretty horrible to from what I understand. I get pissed because I driven alot of standards and they were sooooo smooth, then you hear all the complains about the 3650 t45 etc and its like wow they were all true lol. Like I said before there is no reason what so ever that a standard transmission should have so many issues. Just piss poor engineering and cheap ass parts!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts