Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am planning to do a t-5 swap on my 89 GT this summer and i'm trying to make a parts list to get my total cost. I have a 89 GT that USED to be a 5-speed car but someone put an AOD in it (don't ask me why). anyway, I still have the clutch pedal and engine computer and i'm pretty sure thats all i have from the old set up.

So here is my parts list that I have now...

1) T-5 Transmission (duh)
2) clutch set (clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing)
3) flywheel
4) shifter
5) bellhousing
6) block plate (between block and bellhousing)
7) hardware kit (bolts for flywheel, crossmember, pressure plate etc.)
8) clutch fork
9) shifter cable

is there anything I'm missing?

also, can i reuse my bellhousing off of the AOD?

I was thinking about going slightly upgraded on everything. Ford racing King Cobra clutch, A steeda tri-ax shifter, and a better flywheel.

Any suggestions on the flywheel? I'm noticing that there are steel ones, cast iron ones, and Aluminum ones. what are the benefits of each material? I'm looking to spend not TONS of money, is an aluminum flywheel that much better than cast iron or steel?

I want to be sure i cover EVERYTHING i need for the swap, every bolt, nut, wiring harness, shim EVERTHING. I plan to do it in 2-3 days and I don't want to have problems with it, I want everything to go smoothly.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
well if can find someone that wants to swap trannys u can get the bell housing with it cause the aod bellhousing will not work. also the flywheel is a 157 tooth and its a 10.5"clutch.
the flywheel depends on what u want to do with it later on... i would suggest just getting a steel 50oz for now cause if u upgrade to a stroker later they ususally call for a 28oz flywheel so why spend more now.. if u plan to keep it stock shortblock for a long time billit aluminum is lighter and will get your rpm's up faster but on the other hand the flywheel keeps everything moving between shifts so your rpm's will drop faster between shifts so thats kinda a win lose situation but they cost alot...
make sure u get flywheel blolts not just any bolt will do.

the steeda or pro 5.0 shifter is a must
i agree on the king cobra clutch
get the crossmember from a junkyard
get a good tranny mount

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i plan on keeping it a 302 go with the 50 oz flywheel?

I guess i'll have to decide between the aluminum and cast iron when the time comes.

Are you still rebuilding transmissions sean? I know i contacted you earlier about getting one rebuilt, I may be picking you up on that offer if you are still willing.

are the crossmembers the same from AOD to t-5?

Any suggestions on the tranny mount? I have been told that my motor mounts are stiffer than stock, not sure if they are solid or just polyurethane.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
So if i plan on keeping it a 302 go with the 50 oz flywheel?

I guess i'll have to decide between the aluminum and cast iron when the time comes.

Are you still rebuilding transmissions sean? I know i contacted you earlier about getting one rebuilt, I may be picking you up on that offer if you are still willing.

are the crossmembers the same from AOD to t-5?

Any suggestions on the tranny mount? I have been told that my motor mounts are stiffer than stock, not sure if they are solid or just polyurethane.
if u have a stock bottom end u will have to get a 50oz flywheel cause that is what your damper is

not sure if the cross member is the same

u can use the poly tranny mount i just bought this one AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Product Detail - Transmission Mount - Performance
its the black one on the left

ya i will rebuild a t5 for u if needed

i would say just get a steel flywheel eBay Motors: SBF SFI Billet Flywheel 157 50oz Ford Mustang Cobra TMD (item 170199720515 end time Mar-16-08 17:29:17 PDT)
that one will work just fine

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got done w/ my t5 swap. I ordered a new ford racing cast iron flywheel, $100 shipped. You do also need the shifter boot, bezel, and lower shifter boot. Your old crossmember will work. Stick w/ a poly or rubber trans mount. Good time to change any of your exhaust components or motor mounts while you have the car down.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm. I think my car came with the bezel and the boot and stuff... I remember the bezel being HUGE for the automatic shifter.

I know I want an aluminum drive shaft, but thats out of my budget right now... Any suggestions on what else I can do while i'm in there to add a little something to my drivetrain without spending a whole lot of money??

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
If you have extra money, spend it on a decent clutch and cable, get a stock replacement flywheel, that is all you need unless you are planning on running 11.5 or faster.

A cheap and useful upgrade is a firewall clutch adjuster, you can usually get them for like $30. Plan on changing your rear main seal while you are in there too. And you will need a pilot bearing for the clutch setup. Steel bearing retainer on the T-5 is another good upgrade. And a decent shifter is another good upgrade, hurst, pro 5.0, etc...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard about the steel bearing retainer on the t-5's. What are they? where can i get one? how easy is it to install? what are the benefits?

I was planning on getting a steeda clutch cable and aluminum quadrant, the whole kit thing. will that do well?

I plan on getting a steeda tri-ax shifter, i've heard amazing things about it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bump

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
u can get a steel bearing retainer on ebay for like 30 thats where i got mine and its perfect... its 4 bolts on the front of the tranny slides over the input shaft make sure u use some black silicone when u seal it back up and pull the race and shims out of the old one and put them in the new one.. make sure there is a seal in the new retainer also..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts