Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a T-5 and everything to do a swap minus clutch and cables. My question is if this is the correct translation of the numbers I pulled off the tag?

Tag #'s: E 6ZR-7003 FB; 13-52-167-610 89; B0773

Id chart:
1352-167 Ford 1986 1/2 T-Bird/Cougar 2.3 L4 Turbo WC
Code: P
R-3.76
1st: 4.03
2nd: 2.37
3rd: 1.49
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.81

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
You are the proud owner of a 4 cyl T5 that will end up self destructing in less than 2k miles, because your pilot bearing is too large for the input. So the clutch disk will move up and down along with the input shaft, causing the input and counter shaft gears to get a lovely wear pattern that will eventually wear all the teeth to a small spike of what they were and break off. Just like the 10 or so I have as cores on the shelf. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I wouldnt even bother with a swap if your going to use a 4cly T5

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that's the case, I'll just have to wait for a tremec. The T-5 came with the purchase of the car, so its no big deal.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Wow, such negativity nxcoupe lol

OP, there is a pilot bearing out there that allows you to use a 4-cylinder T5 behind your 5.0 without having to change the input bearing retainer.

For what its worth, if you don't pound the crap out of the car stoplight to stoplight, a 4-cyl t5 can live fine behind a 5.0 engine. Just ask my buddy with his 94 Cobra with fox bellhousing setup and 4-cyl T5. He ran that combo as a daily driver for thousands of miles over a few years until he did his engine swap.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You just need to make sure you use the right pilot bushing it will work fine. Not sure on how long it will last though? Guess it will depend on the current shape of the trans, how much power your car makes, how you drive the car and what pilot bushing you use.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
V8 from 90 up T5 is rated at 300 rwtq, T5 V8 from 89 to 84.5 is rated at 270 rwtq, 4 cyl T5 is rated to 250 rwtq. A lot of guys use them, but they are 4 CYL TRANSMISSIONS. If your car is that pathetic it can use a 4 cyl T5, then have at it. I've never been that desperate. Difference in price is a couple hundred at most. I do hate them as the 3.9 first gear is ridiculous for a car with a gear. It's a joke. Usually they come in with all the teeth off the input and counter or they come in with a broken 2cd or third gear. I hate them because idiots bring them in as a core for their V8 trans they just bought off me, and basically everything is junk save the case and output shaft, so that drives up the cost of my trans for everyone that buys one from me from then on. cores are coming in with 5th gear wasted like a 2cd gear from guys roll racing to 130, or whatever and speed shifting to 5th. Just gets me worked up. It's just silly, as many V8 trans out there, why would you waste the time putting a pos 4 cyl unit in?

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
V8 from 90 up T5 is rated at 300 rwtq, T5 V8 from 89 to 84.5 is rated at 270 rwtq, 4 cyl T5 is rated to 250 rwtq. A lot of guys use them, but they are 4 CYL TRANSMISSIONS. If your car is that pathetic it can use a 4 cyl T5, then have at it. I've never been that desperate. Difference in price is a couple hundred at most. I do hate them as the 3.9 first gear is ridiculous for a car with a gear. It's a joke. Usually they come in with all the teeth off the input and counter or they come in with a broken 2cd or third gear. I hate them because idiots bring them in as a core for their V8 trans they just bought off me, and basically everything is junk save the case and output shaft, so that drives up the cost of my trans for everyone that buys one from me from then on. cores are coming in with 5th gear wasted like a 2cd gear from guys roll racing to 130, or whatever and speed shifting to 5th. Just gets me worked up. It's just silly, as many V8 trans out there, why would you waste the time putting a pos 4 cyl unit in?
How about because he got the transmission for free with the car he just bought? Why spend extra money now when he's got one that will work fine as long as he doesnt abuse it?
As for his car being "pathetic", I think everyone here would prefer you to be productive in helping the OP
instead of insulting him. You're still a new guy around here, don't let your attiude precede any useful knowledge you may have.
For what its worth, my little 2.3L mustang is a T5 conversion car meaning it still has the factory 3.73 rearend that it came from the factory with. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though at 30mpg and knowing that mine is just a bit quicker off the line than the next NA 2.3L Mustang.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Hey it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. It's just silly to me to put a 4 cyl T5 in anything that has any power, as it will not hold up, for temporary, emergency use, it's better than nothing, but taking it to the track or romping on it is a joke. I'm about done with this place about now anyway. Never seen so much misinformation and bs in a website, your mods don't seem to care either. My E85 post proves that, got to two pages before someone did something. I have a lot of info for the 17 years I've been racing and modifying mustangs, but my opinion comes with it. Don't like what I say? don't read it. Want to keep me from voicing my opinion? re-elect Obama.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, even though it came out a little aggressive, it was still good info I thought. I'll just leave the AOD in for now and start with the suspension.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Just sounds like a guy who's been there/done that/seen that and IS correct to me. Honestly, you'll cost yourself a trans most likely. I know a guy who had a perfectly fine 4 banger trans behind his almost bone stock 5.0 on street tires that never was on a track. It didn't work out very long as he started the bolt on process. It's honestly not worth it. As always said... If you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm about done with this place about now anyway. Never seen so much misinformation and bs in a website, your mods don't seem to care either. My E85 post proves that, got to two pages before someone did something. I have a lot of info for the 17 years I've been racing and modifying mustangs, but my opinion comes with it.
And btw, hike up the skirt and stick around sally. I fully agree with you about this site. The only reason I stick around and post is because when I first started out, I came to this site. Got all kinds of mis-information and spent a shitload of money on a pos build. Now that I know better than to use an e-303 and spend a bunch of money on rebuilding a stock cube engine with new pistons rods and crank, I try to keep the same from happening to other people, but I don't have a ton of experience to back it up, or the knowledge to answer a lot of questions. There's only a few guys on here who have a clue, no engine builders or racers, and no experts on these cars. Be nice to add to the few who can actually help these guys with questions. Problem with this site is that its the first that pops on on google when you search, so it has a lot of hits, and the most mis-information of any site for mustangs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, since I don't have a worthy T-5, what will my stock AOD handle power wise?

What's a price range on having a shift kit installed? I know the kits are relatively cheap to buy, but I've never done anything to my cars that I wasn't capable of doing myself and this is one I wouldn't want to screw up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never mind. I just watched a how to video on changing the valve body. Now can this be done with the trans still on the car?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet! $300 to improve the shifts and maybe feel smoother, sounds better than $400 for a clutch to a T-5 that won't hold up for long.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts