Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much HP is a stock T-5 tranny good for or safely hold, and what are its limits?
I was just woundering, when my car is all done it will be all motor, and i dont wanna get a new one or something, but i dont want to F it up either, i figured it should be fine, i hope? So just woundering how good the T-5 is. Thanks guys. - The Novice.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
there is no way to say how much it will hold...i have seen people including myself destroy them at nearly stock power...then again there are people who have had 600hp street cars that their stock t-5 held up for years... its all the clutch and driver...if you dont feel it will hold up i would look into having it rebuilt or get a new one.. also if u dont have one get a stop screw shifter and adjust it properly...i would say 99% of t-5 transmission failure or destruction is not caused from too much power but from too many missed gears,shifting too hard without a stop screw style shifter,not having it rebuilt when the syncros start to wear out and the gears start grinding..another thing that is not good is jumping the transmission(i dont know the proper wording for it) but if u are in a low gear and u give the car gas then let off.. that makes reverse pressure or backlash on the gears and is not good for the internals along with downshifting to slow the car at high rpm's.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok got ya, about the stop screw style shifter, do the Steeda's have that i was looking at getting one of those, people on here said their short shifters were really good.
Also for near the end of your post i got alittle confused, so downshifting is bad for your tranny? Like growing up my dad had a truck and would always down shift, he would give it gas and then down shift to match the RPM's, i think its called Rev matching? But yeah so doing that and downshifting is bad?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
torque breaks trannys not hp, and theyre rated at 300tq i think

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Ok got ya, about the stop screw style shifter, do the Steeda's have that i was looking at getting one of those, people on here said their short shifters were really good.
Also for near the end of your post i got alittle confused, so downshifting is bad for your tranny? Like growing up my dad had a truck and would always down shift, he would give it gas and then down shift to match the RPM's, i think its called Rev matching? But yeah so doing that and downshifting is bad?
no thats fine... i am talking about when u are going like 2500 in 3rd then u downshift into 2nd (no gas) to slow down insted of holding in the clutch and pressing the break...that is not as bas as jumping or if u downshift and dump the clutch and the wheels churp without any throttle...do u understand that?

and yes the steeda does have stop screws

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
dont listen to the rating.. i am going to be using my stock (rebuilt) t-5 with almost 400 to the wheels...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No i got ya i think, thanks. And is it true what 93hatch said?

torque breaks trannys not hp, and theyre rated at 300tq i think
Not that i dont believe you 93hatch, but that just doesnt seem like a lot 300ft lbs? Dang...now i might have to consider getting a new tranny...poo...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
yes that is the rating but they are underrated...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dont listen to the rating.. i am going to be using my stock (rebuilt) t-5 with almost 400 to the wheels...
Oh good well thats a relief. Yeah when all done (or at least running) i should be around that too. Well i guess i wont worry about it for now then, just good to know, i guess i know it time to replace it when it brakes hah.
Btw e3sean what kinda clutch and shifter you got in yours, and do ya like em? Jw, thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
the weakest part in the t-5 is the shifter...and once it starts going bad it only gets worse.. if u start gring geats and or missing gears then get it fixed.it is way cheaper to replace $50 syncros then to replace $50 syncros $80 2nd gear $70 3rd gear plus labor...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
i have a pro 5.0 i dont know what clutch it is but i may be putting a new clutch in... when i do it will be a king cobre....not to hard but still grabbs well... to heavy of a clutch is bad but to weak and u wont move...

yes i like the pro 5.0 but thats is all i have used i want to feel the steeda i hear good things...same with the hurst..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, also i would assume your 347 puts out a good amount of torque. How ya like your 347 anyways, sounded pritty sick in your vid.
Yeah i got to bore out my 302 to clean it up, dont know what i should go to though, i dont want too big though...But yeah sorry off topic, its getting too late for me -_-

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
i like it yet i have not felt its full power cause its not tuned yet.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I was reading this thread over at corral, there is a guy that runs low 10s with 1.4 60 foots, wheels up and still has the stock T5.

I think that is living on borrowed time, but I think the driver makes the biggest difference on how long a transmission will last.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Abuse kills anything, including transmissions. If you keep up with regular maintence, and have good driving habits (along with knowing how to drive with a manual trans)... a T5 will live. Ive had 450+lb/ft and 400+bhp through a stock T5, and it stayed alive for over a year. Even now, my cousin said its still alive.. being two years now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts