Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after I sell my truck i will be building a fox for a dd. i want the car to very nice and unique. i have access to an irs out of an 03 cobra and a nice t-56. let me start of by saying this will not be a 1/4 mile car. im more of a haul ass throught the twisties up in the mountains and those awsome, 270 degree, banked exits off the highway. they make the fiance nautious.

anyways the car will be powered by a 302 with an E,F, or Z cam and supporting mods. haven't decided what one yet. the t-56 will be mated to the engine with a d&d bell housing and trans cross member. wheels are going to be either gt-4, or some fr500's. leaning toward the gt-4 wheels. then going to add front and rear strut tower brace. i think ill make the rear one.

hardest decision is going to be what color to paint it. im leaning toward a nice bright orange with alot of pearl in it. suggestions are welcome but no red please.

what do you think will the car be a reliable dd or a waist of my time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would never opt for the IRS. The 03/04 cobra IRS is notorious for having weak halfshafts, diff cover issues, lots of axle wind up with stock bushings, and adds around 100lb of weight (although I've read it reduces your unsprung weight)

A solid rear axle can be set up for road racing/handling.

Also, if it's a t-56 out of a cobra, they have a 10spline input shaft that can become an issue after 4-500hp. Something to keep in mind if you ever plan on going all out with it.

Steal the motor from where you're getting these cobra parts and put that sucker in there!

·
Registered
423 Posts
i know it depends on how you drive it

but tremecs rating on the T-56 is 440 hp

·
Registered
25 Posts
your going to all that trouble yet your going to put a alphabet cam in it??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would never opt for the IRS. The 03/04 cobra IRS is notorious for having weak halfshafts, diff cover issues, lots of axle wind up with stock bushings, and adds around 100lb of weight (although I've read it reduces your unsprung weight)

Also, if it's a t-56 out of a cobra, they have a 10spline input shaft that can become an issue after 4-500hp. Something to keep in mind if you ever plan on going all out with it.

Steal the motor from where you're getting these cobra parts and put that sucker in there!

i respectfully disagree, if one beefs the IRS with better bushing and cover/brace you can beat on it all you want, the shafts are far from being the problem, tire shake and hop is what kills the shafts, not a weak design..

i have a buddy who is on his 2nd Cobra both well over 600hp, and he has yet to break a shaft, on DR's or Slicks

·
Registered
423 Posts
but the reason many people that race there cobras put in straight axles is because there stronger

the irs cant handle much over 650-700hp

·
Registered
2,111 Posts

Okay, judging on what it seems he wants to do with this car... hes not going to have problems with the stock IRS. A bolt-on 5.0L isnt going to make enough power to break anything.. even a bolt-on supercharged 4.6s wont break them, especially with the type of driving he wants to do.

Going all out? Thats a different story, but for now.. i think this guy wants something fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
but the reason many people that race there cobras put in straight axles is because there stronger

the irs cant handle much over 650-700hp
Wrong. The biggest reason for the IRS-to-Straight Axle swap is the weight reduction that comes with it. There are actually alot of 800+hp cobras out there with the IRS that stay alive, even with the owners beating the hell outta of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
really i thought that they started to bow in at around 650-700hp

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, judging on what it seems he wants to do with this car... hes not going to have problems with the stock IRS. A bolt-on 5.0L isnt going to make enough power to break anything.. even a bolt-on supercharged 4.6s wont break them, especially with the type of driving he wants to do.

Going all out? Thats a different story, but for now.. i think this guy wants something fun to drive.

exactly right. the engine will be a 302 with p&p heads and a alphabet cam. i can get the irs and t-56 for a good price is the reason im wanting to do it. i drove an 03 cobra and loved the way it handled compared to my old 01 gt. the car will be lowered. engine output is looking at 400hp MAX. oh and the irs comes with a brace and 372 gears.

·
Registered
423 Posts
exactly right. the engine will be a 302 with p&p heads and a alphabet cam. i can get the irs and t-56 for a good price is the reason im wanting to do it. i drove an 03 cobra and loved the way it handled compared to my old 01 gt. the car will be lowered. engine output is looking at 400hp MAX. oh and the irs comes with a brace and 372 gears.
you mean 7:73 right?

·
Registered
423 Posts
a custom cam

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i ment 3.73 gears. sry. what would be some good custom cam specs for the motor. i want it to lope really hard but still be a daily driver. oh and a friend of mine has the z cam if i want it. i just need to have the pistons fly cut or buy some already fly cut.

·
Registered
423 Posts
personally i dont know what would be good custom specs but its probably what im gonna do

·
Registered
334 Posts
i respectfully disagree, if one beefs the IRS with better bushing and cover/brace you can beat on it all you want, the shafts are far from being the problem, tire shake and hop is what kills the shafts, not a weak design..

i have a buddy who is on his 2nd Cobra both well over 600hp, and he has yet to break a shaft, on DR's or Slicks
You can correct the axle wind up for the most part, but you end up spending a fortune on the IRS itself, bushings, diff cover, and possibly aftermarket halfshafts.

A 91 fox with an IRS is only half the battle in handling like a cobra anyways. You've still got the front suspension and steering.

Do I think foxes with all Cobra parts in them are cool and unique? yes.

Do I think it's a cost effective way of making a fox handle well? no.

I would recommend calling some places that have experience making fox bodies handle well and ask their opinion.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i personally like the 98 cobra wheels

and the 95 cobra R wheels on the foxes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts