Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to buy a t-lok for my v6 mustang. i was just wondering if it is something that i can do myself or would it be better for me to take it to a shop. i am pretty good about working on cars, but i have never done anything like this or changing gears. if there was a link to a website that gives good instructions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
i want to buy a t-lok for my v6 mustang. i was just wondering if it is something that i can do myself or would it be better for me to take it to a shop. i am pretty good about working on cars, but i have never done anything like this or changing gears. if there was a link to a website that gives good instructions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

if you dont know how to put in gears, its good to have someone who does put them in...if they are installed wrong, you can mess them up or have a bad whine.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
it really is not too bad. if you have some idea on how to do it and read some instructions. I will post a couple sites in a little bit with links on how to. I mean the only way you learn is by doing it. And as far as gear whine goes, all you have to do if you get that is re adjust shims for backlash if your pinion depth is fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Watched a guy do mine... too much can go wrong... let someone else do it so you don't have just yourself to blame if by chance it doesn't work out

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
it is a lot of time consuming stuff, but if you have patience you can do it. I can't find my links for some reason, sorry I will keep looking. I am not saying that it is easy, but if you ever want to learn how to do it you just have to read up on it, and then do it. I personally would rather do things myself, and then you feel good if it works and you saved yourself $400 bucks. I know that obviously it is disappointing if it does not work right the first time, but then you learn what not to do and how to do it right. This is just my philosphy on this topic. And I feel if you have some good sources to read up on and the tools, and the mechanic ability then you might as well try for it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys for the advice, i believe that i will just find me a good mech. and see what he would charge cause i am tired of the one wheel burns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts