Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo I'm getting tired of the one-tire fires. What do you guys recommend for a new diff? If I could find a T-Lok, I'd definitely go with one of those, but no one seems to carry them :S

I've heard talk I can pull a T-Lok and gears out of a Ranger or similar Mazda truck. Which years will work? Since I've heard some Rangers come with the 8.8" rear end. I'd love to do the full 8.8" swap, but funds are currently limiting my modding. So ideas/suggestions? Anyone have a T-Lok kicking around they could let go for a bit cheaper?

Let me know guys!

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Yeah a ranger Carries a 7.5 tlok
That's where I got mine from check Ebay they're like 60 bucks

03cristian

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which year Ranger, cristian?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
You can pick up a full 8.8" assembly (possibly even with better gears) for around the same price as buying a new tlok. And if you can't install the tlok yourself, it will cost you more to buy just a 7.5" tlok and have it installed than to buy a full 8.8" rear and swap it in yourself (isn't too hard if you have a buddy to help you move the rears around).

·
Shoulda had a V8
551 Posts
You can pick up a full 8.8" assembly (possibly even with better gears) for around the same price as buying a new tlok. And if you can't install the tlok yourself, it will cost you more to buy just a 7.5" tlok and have it installed than to buy a full 8.8" rear and swap it in yourself (isn't too hard if you have a buddy to help you move the rears around).
+1^.

I'm planning on getting an 8.8 from a local yard for $300. Install alone for the diff will run you $300 with most shops (Even more if you live out here in socal). Find a friend who is mechanic savvy and owns a truck, and have him haul it to your house and help you install it.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Which year Ranger, cristian?
I have no clue,i forgot just Ebay search ranger tlok or ranger lsd
And my install was cheap gears and tlok for 100 install

03cristian

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I have no clue,i forgot just Ebay search ranger tlok or ranger lsd
And my install was cheap gears and tlok for 100 install

03cristian
What all did you supply? I supplied gears, tlok, and bearing/install kit and my install was $350 (shop supplied gear oil). Cheapest price I could find where I lived.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
In burkett auto, they are local owned by mr Johnny burkett he is an honest good old man
I supplied gears, and tlok
They had an extra rebuild kit they let me have and they supplied oil and friction modifier

03cristian

·
Registered
96 Posts
There is a guy on eBay that rebuilds and sellsranger lsd's on eBay with 3.73 or 4.10 gears for $250-300 which isn't a bad deal imo

·
That 04Sixxer Guy
1,427 Posts
+1^.

I'm planning on getting an 8.8 from a local yard for $300. Install alone for the diff will run you $300 with most shops (Even more if you live out here in socal). Find a friend who is mechanic savvy and owns a truck, and have him haul it to your house and help you install it.
Okay, where the **** do you guys find these? I looked for weeks for an 8.8 and couldn't find a full assembly for anywhere under $700

·
Registered
96 Posts
Okay, where the **** do you guys find these? I looked for weeks for an 8.8 and couldn't find a full assembly for anywhere under $700
Does it have to come from a mustang? Because I believe f150's and explorers have a 8.8 but I could be wrong and I know the pick an pull by me is full of those and only a few v6 mustangs no gt's

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
A while back I found a 5.0L V8 with matching tranny, shifter, driveshaft, and complete rear end for $400 on CL. No idea what condition it was in but I didn't have the money to buy it nor a shell to drop it in :dunno

·
Registered
222 Posts
T-Lok's aren't that hard to find, I did a search and found one in under a minute lol. You can get 7.5" T-Lok's from Ford Racing, and AM sells them for $200. 8.8's are stronger and offer more aftermarket support but in all honesty, the Ford T-Lok isn't even close to the strongest LSD out there. Their breakaway torque is really quite low. If you search my posts, I did a write up on different LSD options before.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
T-Lok's aren't that hard to find, I did a search and found one in under a minute lol. You can get 7.5" T-Lok's from Ford Racing, and AM sells them for $200. 8.8's are stronger and offer more aftermarket support but in all honesty, the Ford T-Lok isn't even close to the strongest LSD out there. Their breakaway torque is really quite low. If you search my posts, I did a write up on different LSD options before.
the 7.5" Ford T-Lok has been discontinued and is no longer available ANYWHERE. The replacement on american muscles site is an auburn t-lok and it is about $480 bucks by itself.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
:lol: when was the last time you looked. I keep looking and kicking myself in the ass for not getting one when AM had them

·
Fee Fie Foe Fum
1,724 Posts
My 8.8 cost a bill w a broke pass side axle... Theyre out there..no question about it... These cars get smashed up...yes rearend has to be from a stang..its control arm not leaf spring like explorers and rangers

·
Needs moar meat
5,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, that's my issue. I can't find a T-Lok anywhere. Or an 8.8" rear end. Every Mustang I've found in a yard here is a V6 with a 7.5". Which is why I was just going to go with the T-Lok and Gears from a Ranger if possible. I'm not planning on modding my Sixxer to have serious power. Waiting for the GT in a couple of years for that. I just need something to give me some more down low grunt (3.73s) and do away with the one-tire-fires.
What year Rangers (or what else might work?) can I use?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts