Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping to an auto. I never thought I would do this for as long as I lived. I've always had manual mustangs and never dreamt of owning an auto mustang. But I have wised up because I'm sick of inconsistency at the track. I was hooked when I drove my friends stalled ls1 trans am with equal power. That thing just pins you back in the seat.

I'm going to have a lot questions while doing this.
I found a 4r70w out of a 96 gt with low mileage for a good price but I know they have different valve bodies as well as mechanical VSS. Will it still work in my 02'? Should I stick with 99-04 transmission?
My plan is a 3500-3800 stall, shift kit, and trans cooler. I drive my car hard on the street and strip and sick of dealing with clutches.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Good luck. I'm doin the same. Just received my full swap. I would just stick wit somethin close to your year.

Gonna need

DS yoke
PCM
harness
jumper plugs
pedal assembly
shifter
shifter cable
auto bezel
flex plate
engine seperator plate
cooling lines
dipstick w/ tube

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck. I'm doin the same. Just received my full swap. I would just stick wit somethin close to your year.

Gonna need

DS yoke
PCM
harness
jumper plugs
pedal assembly
shifter
shifter cable
auto bezel
flex plate
engine seperator plate
cooling lines
dipstick w/ tube
Awesome. Thanks! Where did you get everything and how much did it run?

·
Registered
998 Posts
OMG..... Your bringing back some bad memories from just a week ago.....lol.

I just did it and screamed and kicked the whole time. It's not bad as far as the install, and from what I had going on and diagnosing the issues is why I was screaming.

Word from the wise.... If you have a custom tune on your car, return it to stock.

One thing that you will have to do is install the shifter from unterneath the car. You will have to drill new holes in the trans tunnel to mount it. It just time consuming. The rest is pretty strait forward.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG..... Your bringing back some bad memories from just a week ago.....lol.

I just did it and screamed and kicked the whole time. It's not bad as far as the install, and from what I had going on and diagnosing the issues is why I was screaming.

Word from the wise.... If you have a custom tune on your car, return it to stock.

One thing that you will have to do is install the shifter from unterneath the car. You will have to drill new holes in the trans tunnel to mount it. It just time consuming. The rest is pretty strait forward.
Haha yeah I'm sure it's a long process, but nothing I can't handle. Install the shifter from underneath? I have a custom tune, but plan on going with an auto ECU and getting a retune.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
all it cost me is shipping.

member on here sent me the FULL swap. gonna swap it into mine and send him all my manual stuff...so it'll be a full swap for like 200 bucks.

and there's no need to drill holes for the shifter. all ya gotta do is get a piece of flat stock steel about 1" wide and 3" long and just bolt the piece of metal to the holes that don't line up and then bolt the shifter to the metal bracket you just bolted to the trans tunnel

·
Registered
998 Posts
And there's no need to drill holes for the shifter. all ya gotta do is get a piece of flat stock steel about 1" wide and 3" long and just bolt the piece of metal to the holes that don't line up and then bolt the shifter to the metal bracket you just bolted to the trans tunnel
have you done the swap? if you mount the shift on top (in the car, it's too high on the trans tunnel). you have to mount it from underneath to get the height right. I would love to see some pics of how you did yours.

After it is all installed I just wanted to remind you that if you don't swap out your computer, steering column and instrument cluster, you will have to get the car PATS system turned off for the car to start. And don't forget about the wires under the dash that were hooked up to the Neutral safety switch.

Good Luck man!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man! I have my PATS shut off in my tune already because I have an 03 Cobra cluster. I'm thinking of taking the new ECU to have my tuner throw the custom tune in it before I install it, so it will just be plug and play. Can tuners unlock SCT X3s and use it for a my new auto ECU?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Thanks man! I have my PATS shut off in my tune already because I have an 03 Cobra cluster. I'm thinking of taking the new ECU to have my tuner throw the custom tune in it before I install it, so it will just be plug and play. Can tuners unlock SCT X3s and use it for a my new auto ECU?
yeah unlocking the handheld is not a big deal at all. It will work fine with your setup.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
have you done the swap? if you mount the shift on top (in the car, it's too high on the trans tunnel). you have to mount it from underneath to get the height right. I would love to see some pics of how you did yours.

After it is all installed I just wanted to remind you that if you don't swap out your computer, steering column and instrument cluster, you will have to get the car PATS system turned off for the car to start. And don't forget about the wires under the dash that were hooked up to the Neutral safety switch.

Good Luck man!
He is saying you mount it from beneth, you mount the shifter to the flat stock, then make the flat stock fit the holes already there. Eliminates the need to drill new holes

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
while the '96 trans would "work" just stick with an '01 & up as they already have all the upgraded internals & should pretty much cost about the same (junk yard 4r70w's typically are 300-400 ish)

you don't have to swap the pedals if you don't want to (pretty much the hardest part of the swap IMO), a lot of guys just put the clutch pedal back under the carpet.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Casper! Is it true that 03 04 GTs possibly got the 4r75w's? Would I be better off getting a computer from an auto Mach?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts