Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i have a stock tranny in my 98 cobra. everybody, and i mean EVERYBODY keeps tellin my trans wont hold with my TT kit.
now i know my trans is rated to 320tq, and i made 460hp/380tq with my old supercharger setup and everything seemed to be ok. how much power do you think i can run through my trans without it blowin (literally) up? i know turbos are supposed to make good torque numbers, but what would be pushin it? my tuner said anything over 600hp isnt really streetable, so i'd like to run between 550-600. will my trans hold up to that for awhile? i have just under 70k on the clock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
well, i have a stock tranny in my 98 cobra. everybody, and i mean EVERYBODY keeps tellin my trans wont hold with my TT kit.
now i know my trans is rated to 320tq, and i made 460hp/380tq with my old supercharger setup and everything seemed to be ok. how much power do you think i can run through my trans without it blowin (literally) up? i know turbos are supposed to make good torque numbers, but what would be pushin it? my tuner said anything over 600hp isnt really streetable, so i'd like to run between 550-600. will my trans hold up to that for awhile? i have just under 70k on the clock.
thats a loaded question,do you plan on going to the strip? roadracing? streetracing every ricer that pulls up to you at a red light? if not then yes the t45 will take some abuse for dd but go rippin gears and prepare to spend some cash,gotta pay to play......

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
you can dial in the power you want for the streets, 550+ can be very streetable. you dont have to be in boost all the time, and with turbo's you can dial/adjust boost settings. the trans will take normal cruising, but wont take much abuse. you will look at hurting the input shaft with the power output, or hurting shift fork playing around.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:withhomo

May be time (just to be safe) to give promotion a call :).

:2cents

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, whenever i actually get on my car, its usually just for a gear or 2, im jjust worried the first time i get on it that it may break. no, i may take it to the strip once, wont ever road race it, and i occasionally like to embarass the ricers. i usually dont do anything off the line, i just spin ( or i did with the supercharger, my car isnt finished yet). I was considering gettin a rebuild kit for my trans from Promotion.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
if your that worried about it. Don't take the chances. It was already stated that it will more than likely not take the abuse the way it is.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
^Yep; PS - hey JP, thanks for letting Primo borrow your cluster for a few today so he can help me out :)

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
lol it's cool man. Whats the problem your having with it?
I'll shoot you a PM so we don't hog up his thread.

Back on topic :lol .....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Get the input shaft resplined to accept a 26 spline clutch, get some billet shift forks like I have in mine, synchro rebuild kit, bronze shift pads, you should be indestructable.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks i appreciate the insight

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
700-800 horse could be streetable, but no it will blow up

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good good im glad i asked. now to talk my wife into lettin me spend more money on the car....could be impossible!

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
Don't get married.

Problem solved ;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol too late im married. she actually bought me the cobra, supercharged, for my birthday as a surprise BEFORE we were even engaged!

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
exactly what i told myself. i said, "self, you better not let this one get away" and we both agreed lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts