Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive done about an hour of searching and all i can find are people arguing about which one is stronger. i just want to know which of the two is stronger and can take more of a beating basically. on the track its going to be used mainly in 2nd gear and higher rpm's unless its the bigger course then i will be in 3rd most of the time.

im not worried about clutches just transmissions.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
neither of them are built for the track.

However, I am putting 430 through my 3650 and no problems so far... wouldn't necessarily say I feel comfortable doing it though... and defiantly don't beat it up at the track hardly ever.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They both have their gains and their faults. As 0949er stated neither of them are truly meant for the track but my 3650 has been beaten drifting and road racing and still is strong as hell.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
if you look at the specs the 3650 holds more power, and has less faults. but people will argue either way.
T-45
Shitty inputshaft
shitty synchros
shitty shift forks
shitty selector arms
T-3650
Shitty Input shaft
Shitty synchros

Theres a reason ford switched to a 3650. But in your case i would look at a tko 600.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
isnt another difference is that the 3650 has internal shift stops? (and the t45 doesnt?)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Yeah. I'd stay away from the T45. I broke my input shaft with 241rwhp/281lb/ft. Granted it had nearly 150k miles on it... I've heard of all sorts of 3650 problems though. For racing use, I'd go for something built a little better than either to be completely honest.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Yeah. I'd stay away from the T45. I broke my input shaft with 241rwhp/281lb/ft. Granted it had nearly 150k miles on it... I've heard of all sorts of 3650 problems though. For racing use, I'd go for something built a little better than either to be completely honest.
please explain

·
5,502 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the posts because I don't have a 3650, but I see threads pop up regarding problems with that trans more than the T45. It's a terrible rubric for comparison, I'll admit. The main point I was making is that it is probably better to get a dedicated racing transmission, or at least a built one, rather than looking for a used stock tranny.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I don't pay much attention to the posts because I don't have a 3650, but I see threads pop up regarding problems with that trans more than the T45. It's a terrible rubric for comparison, I'll admit. The main point I was making is that it is probably better to get a dedicated racing transmission, or at least a built one, rather than looking for a used stock tranny.
you will see more 3650 problems in this section as mid 01+ were 3650 whcih leaves 99-mid 01 for teh t-45. I promise you, t-45s have more problems then 3650's.

·
5,502 Posts
Mine certainly had plenty. That's why I'm removing it. The T45 was only available 99-01 btw. I guess if that's any indication, even Ford didn't want to use it anymore... I guess the 3650 it is.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
yes 99-01 typo in my post. Ive worked on both and the t-45's have weaker parts. theres really not much i can say. I think the problem with failures in either trans is the driver.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Crap. I didn't want to hear that. What tires were you running? What rpms did you launch at?

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Stock T45, basic rebuild with a billet 3/4 shift fork:

Needless to say, I prefer the T45 over the 3650 every time I get a chance. I love them.

There honestly is not a large difference. Some have good luck with each model. Like someone stated above...driver plays a large role. But so does clutch adjustment, which most fail to do correctly.

If you have a rebuilt T45, with upgraded forks...it will last with some decent abuse.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Stock T45, basic rebuild with a billet 3/4 shift fork:

YouTube - MODULAR SPEED.wmv

Needless to say, I prefer the T45 over the 3650 every time I get a chance. I love them.

There honestly is not a large difference. Some have good luck with each model. Like someone stated above...drive plays a large role. But so does clutch adjustment, which most failt o do correctly.

If you have a rebuilt T45, with upgraded forks...it will last with some decent abuse.
never heard of forks breaking in a 3650. just synchros and inputs just liek with the t-45s.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
That is because they are upgraded.

Like I stated, if you upgrade the forks they will handle some good power.

The majority of T45 fork failures are on the pre 99/00 models (96-98)

The 99+ T45 has "upgraded" forks. But you can still upgrade them further.

For the record, I have gone 10's on stock T45's for years. 96-00 models. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
sure either trans will last with upgrades. like me I twisted my input with 400 ftlbs. upgraded to a 26 spline and i should be good for almost anyting i throw at it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts