Modded Mustang Forums banner

t45 vs 3560

3K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  Scott2001GT 
#1 ·
ive done about an hour of searching and all i can find are people arguing about which one is stronger. i just want to know which of the two is stronger and can take more of a beating basically. on the track its going to be used mainly in 2nd gear and higher rpm's unless its the bigger course then i will be in 3rd most of the time.

im not worried about clutches just transmissions.

#2 ·
neither of them are built for the track.

However, I am putting 430 through my 3650 and no problems so far... wouldn't necessarily say I feel comfortable doing it though... and defiantly don't beat it up at the track hardly ever.

#4 ·
if you look at the specs the 3650 holds more power, and has less faults. but people will argue either way.
T-45
Shitty inputshaft
shitty synchros
shitty shift forks
shitty selector arms
T-3650
Shitty Input shaft
Shitty synchros

Theres a reason ford switched to a 3650. But in your case i would look at a tko 600.

#9 ·
Yeah. I'd stay away from the T45. I broke my input shaft with 241rwhp/281lb/ft. Granted it had nearly 150k miles on it... I've heard of all sorts of 3650 problems though. For racing use, I'd go for something built a little better than either to be completely honest.

#11 ·
I don't pay much attention to the posts because I don't have a 3650, but I see threads pop up regarding problems with that trans more than the T45. It's a terrible rubric for comparison, I'll admit. The main point I was making is that it is probably better to get a dedicated racing transmission, or at least a built one, rather than looking for a used stock tranny.

#13 ·
Mine certainly had plenty. That's why I'm removing it. The T45 was only available 99-01 btw. I guess if that's any indication, even Ford didn't want to use it anymore... I guess the 3650 it is.

#16 ·
Stock T45, basic rebuild with a billet 3/4 shift fork:

Needless to say, I prefer the T45 over the 3650 every time I get a chance. I love them.

There honestly is not a large difference. Some have good luck with each model. Like someone stated above...driver plays a large role. But so does clutch adjustment, which most fail to do correctly.

If you have a rebuilt T45, with upgraded forks...it will last with some decent abuse.

#17 ·
Stock T45, basic rebuild with a billet 3/4 shift fork:

YouTube - MODULAR SPEED.wmv

Needless to say, I prefer the T45 over the 3650 every time I get a chance. I love them.

There honestly is not a large difference. Some have good luck with each model. Like someone stated above...drive plays a large role. But so does clutch adjustment, which most failt o do correctly.

If you have a rebuilt T45, with upgraded forks...it will last with some decent abuse.
never heard of forks breaking in a 3650. just synchros and inputs just liek with the t-45s.

#18 ·
That is because they are upgraded.

Like I stated, if you upgrade the forks they will handle some good power.

The majority of T45 fork failures are on the pre 99/00 models (96-98)

The 99+ T45 has "upgraded" forks. But you can still upgrade them further.

For the record, I have gone 10's on stock T45's for years. 96-00 models. Never had an issue.

#31 ·
I went through Liberty's. they had the best price for the same lead time.
engines are fine...not forged but not a lot of stock cars are.

the 5 speed trannies just are not strong and need a lot of attention.

The Cobra 6 speeds and Ford Autos are a lot better. not saying this b/c I drive one...just stating the facts..
lol this is true, but the auto is not much stronger. you would roast your tranny if it was all stock. a converter and shift kit add a lot of power potential in an auto. a converter to you is like an input to me. and a shift kit to you is kinda like upgraded synchros for me.

people dont look at it that way, but its true. most jsut think Converter = Faster... when it also means stronger.

"how much would a 26 spline cost? im a nissan guy just i have a love for mustangs lol. im also only looking to put down 350 to the wheels max. i dont need insane gobs of power for a 2300lb car(weighed with ka in it and fully stripped of all un-needed parts)"

I paid $305 plus shipping through Liberty's Gears. Promotion is $395 plus shippping.

#22 ·
That's what I said, but Willy Mo pointed out that it's a biased sample size, there are literally less cars with a T45 than a T3650 between 99-04.

#24 ·
You mean, like our engines? These cars suck... :tomato

#25 ·

the 5 speed trannies just are not strong and need a lot of attention.

The Cobra 6 speeds and Ford Autos are a lot better. not saying this b/c I drive one...just stating the facts..

#26 ·

the 5 speed trannies just are strong and need a lot of attention
I was being sardonic, but I'm with you on that.

All of it actually, even after the ninja edit.

#32 ·
The later 3650s had a .62:1 fifth gear ratio.

I checked a couple of places for 26 spline input shafts for the T-45: One required you to take your input shaft out of your transmission and send it to them for inspection before they would send you a 26 spline input shaft. ProMotion Transmissions said they would sell one for $450 and wanted the 10 spline back as a core charge.

#33 ·
The later 3650s had a .62:1 fifth gear ratio.

I checked a couple of places for 26 spline input shafts for the T-45: One required you to take your input shaft out of your transmission and send it to them for inspection before they would send you a 26 spline input shaft. ProMotion Transmissions said they would sell one for $450 and wanted the 10 spline back as a core charge.
this is how most do it. even promotion. but they are larger so they can afford to stock a couple.

#35 ·
It's rated to 700lb/ft from the factory though... I know when manuals are rated like that they are usually good to twice the amount, is that not true for the autos?

#38 ·
pm sent back

hmm teh research ive done says they arent good to that HP until you have a stall and shift kit.
a shift kit is like a short throw too. The stall helps yes but you need a trans cooler otherwise it may not with the heat build up.

#40 ·
yea as dcook said im not looking for an auto lol only a manual. if i could afford it id buy a dogbox <3 but im poor as f*ck

auto and drifting = boom
lol i blew up my stock auto transmission that came in the car by doing that lmao headgasket was blown so i decided to just beat it til something was dead and it ended up being the tranny regardless of the engine overheating within minutes of starting it hahaha

#42 ·
sure an aftermarket cooler is needed when you start throwing power at her, but imo you need one regardless. Like i said, we'll pick on scott for a sec. if you left your trans bone stock with your new set up youd blow it, hell with your procharger youd probably hurt it over some time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.