Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get a T5 from a 94/5 sixxer. Im aware that this year has a mechanical speedo, whereas my car has an electronic speedo. Got a few questions since I have ZERO T5 knowledge. Google also isnt telling me much, only about electronic to manual conversion.

1. Can I just change the tailshaft from the 94/5 T5 with one from 99+(or whenever they switched to electronic speedo), add the reluctor(sp?) ring and sensor and be done?

2. Trans Cross member *should* bolt up with no hassle? Pedals, clutch cable, bellhousing, yoke etc should all bolt in with little issue.

3. Since I should have in the neighborhood of 300rwhp, Stage 2 clutch? Maybe 3? Brand? Also, I know this is personal opinion, whats the best shifter?

4. Ill be going through the trans before install, replacing bearings and what not(car was submerged, upside down in a pond), anything else I should change while Im in there?

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Stage 3 clutch is over 500hp. Remember you want your clutch to be your weak link not the trans

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3500 stall
Built 4r70w
Shift kit
Trans brake
Lots of cooling
Win

:D

And yes 94/95 are mechanical ...
This has also ran through my head. But since i would want to road race, would a 3500 stall be good thing?

Was also planning to j mod my 4r70w and get a trans oil cooler. The tunnel gets pretty warm with no carpet.

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would suggest a ram HDX clutch. Thats what I had before I got a 26 spline input shaft and it worked out well. If youre not dropping the clutch while drag racing I think you will probably be fine with whatever clutch you get.

Also, you can get a t5 rebuild kit for around 250 bucks that includes all the bearings, shims, i believe syncros, essentially everything except the gears and shafts themselves. If you check out Gforce transmission they have a detailed write up about the dissassembly and reassembly for the T5.

Also, you could get a gforce trans from a place called promotion transmissions in florida that has some well priced options, for around $1500

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
I have his old clutch and trans ^ lol
I agree that I like the Ram HDX clutch. It grabs pretty hard and I think it is rated to like 400 ft lbs.

I have a steed tri ax and like it. Have the handle on the lower setting. Shifts are short and notchy.

trans member from the sn95 might not be the same, I'm not completely sure ?

Also, the sn95 t5 is only rated to like 250 ftlbs or something, it isn't a world class t5 like the new edge ones. New edges are rated to like 310 ftlbs i think

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would suggest a ram HDX clutch. Thats what I had before I got a 26 spline input shaft and it worked out well. If youre not dropping the clutch while drag racing I think you will probably be fine with whatever clutch you get.

Also, you can get a t5 rebuild kit for around 250 bucks that includes all the bearings, shims, i believe syncros, essentially everything except the gears and shafts themselves. If you check out Gforce transmission they have a detailed write up about the dissassembly and reassembly for the T5.

Also, you could get a gforce trans from a place called promotion transmissions in florida that has some well priced options, for around $1500
Im not willing to pay 1500 for a trans. I can probably get everything from the car for <$500, its a write off and its been in the compound at work for nearly 4 months.

My boss has or should have all the tech books for a T5 so dissassembly/reassembly shouldnt be a problem.

Just need to set a game plan in stone and go from there.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a set of straight cut gears for a T5? I know they are noisy but i dont drive the car often enough for it to bother me.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Completely false. I have heard moser gears are harder to get quite but frrp gears do not whine if they are installed correctly. Really installed correctly no gear should whine.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Completely false. I have heard moser gears are harder to get quite but frrp gears do not whine if they are installed correctly. Really installed correctly no gear should whine.

Reading will get you far in life.. Im not talking about rear end gears, im not changing from the stock 3.27s.

I asked about straight cut transmission gears. Did some searching on my own and found a couple new things out. Still lots to ponder.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Woah no need to get mad. I had been up since 4 am working and just saw gears. So yes my mistake.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry if that came off as a negative comment, was not my intention.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Switch the tail housing, pull off mechanical gear, press on reluctor wheel. Done. Any knowledge on the guts? Rebuild is easy so look into it.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not at the moment. it was submerged under water for minimum 4 hrs, so kinda hoping its not too bad in there. i did plan to rebuild it myself with a little help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts