Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a 7.5 to 8.8 swap, and now the rear seal of the transmission (A T5) is leaking. It's not leaking alot, but it is leaking, Enough to the point where im thinking if it leaked for months it would become low.

I tried to research this but everything i could find pointed towards dropping the transmission to replace the seal?

I did not take off the driveshaft while doing the 8.8 swap... Could it be the shaft going into it is worn?

·
Registered
241 Posts
seal. when you did the rear, although you did not remove it you prob. moved it enough to weaken the seal. Although I have never done a rear main seal, I dont think u need to drop the trans. my 2 cents. I'm sure someone will pop and to verify.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The seal can be changed while in the car, mine continued to leak after changing, there is a drip hole on mine which leaks the fluid also. I think a seal further in is leaking on mine.

I don't think it will get to a critical point as long as it is parked on a level spot, but maybe someone else may have better knowledge to this problem.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
pull the driveshaft off

go to an autoparts store get a new seal. to remove the old one get a flat chizel or screwdriver and tap between the seal and tailhousing to bend it up the whole way around that will loosen it. then you ither pry it off or pull it off with a seal puller. once its off get a peice of pipe or something that will slide over the tailshaft but be able to cover the metal part of the seal to push the seal in when you hit it with a hammer. the new one will just be hit into place.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
+1 very easy fix it will take longer to pull the driveshaft then it will to replace the seal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts