Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my stang the other day and was on it pretty good and 3rd gear was making a noise almost like it was vibrating or something. I dont know if its going or what but anyway is there a benifit of putting a T56 out of a 03 cobra in it? whats a good price on a T56?

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I think new units are around 2500. Used ones from termis i've seen going for $1500 lately

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Yeah I think that's a good price considering the extremely low mileage. You'll need the crossmember and driveshaft though. The mounting location is different (this is why you need the crossmember) and the tranny is longer (this is why you need the driveshaft)

Crossmembers aren't very much and a cobra driveshaft is aluminum so it's an upgrade anyway

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
power band faster??? no. the first gear ratio is longer than any of the 5spds. there are options for the first gear, but still not a short as a 5spd. the gear ratio's are a little closer together and really benefit on things like rouad courses and what not where staying in a selected rpm range is neseccary. 5th gear is just a split between 1:1 ratio and final drive (6th) which isnt much different that a 5spd either.personally, i not a fan of the t56. its a worthless waste of money for the 95% of the people that dont need it. is it a benefit, yes if you are going to utilze it.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
There was another thread just the other day that gets into great detail about gear ratios and such ***HERE***.

As I said then, I will say again... a T-3650 or built T-45 is going to be just fine for most people, but the T-56 has some VERY nice advantages. If you are STRICTLY going for the 1/4, don't bother with one. If you want some great flexabilty for a DD... the T-56 has a lot to offer :yes

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i no i didnt see it sorry guys for starting a new one. How do you know which one is out of the 03 cobra, there was two different ones that is on the other page.

·
Registered
381 Posts
power band faster??? no. the first gear ratio is longer than any of the 5spds. there are options for the first gear, but still not a short as a 5spd. the gear ratio's are a little closer together and really benefit on things like rouad courses and what not where staying in a selected rpm range is neseccary. 5th gear is just a split between 1:1 ratio and final drive (6th) which isnt much different that a 5spd either.personally, i not a fan of the t56. its a worthless waste of money for the 95% of the people that dont need it. is it a benefit, yes if you are going to utilze it.
I would listen to Sweet2kstang he knows what he talking about. Take it from a Cobra guy. I have the T56 I destroyed my first one in 26k miles and not because I cant drive it was because I can drive. Since I have been drag racing and road course racing all my life when I would downshift like you would on at the track and power shift like your at the strip plus 480hp it didnt like that at all. Got a new one under warranty which was great.

You will also be adding weight which is bad you never want to do this plus the fact you would have buy the cross member and drive shaft. Look up Tremec and find the fully built 5 speed that can actually hold 600 pounds of torque. Not too many people know but the T56 is rated to not be able to with stand more than 500 poounds of torque.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts