Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nile P. Pezdel of Pez Dispenser Inc. CCA
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting that thing to fit properly was no easy task, however. Mustang Magic out in Long Island did a great job despite the problems. If anyone is considering one of these, my review from 2 days of use is that its phenomenal. A bit noisy at first, but after some mileage it has gotten very smooth and silent. The gear ratios are perfect. I got the same ones as the Cobra has. The thing clunks a little, but it's sitting so snugly that I'm amazed it doesn't bang like crazy all the time. The shifter is a touch notchier than a typical T56 but not like my old tri-ax. It's also shorter shifting than the tri-ax.

Here are the issues I faced, and you might need to consider if moving to this unit: It doesn't fit, a stock 2v Mustang with 4.10 gears has a tougher time than you'd think with 2.90 first gears. The crossmember for the cobra does not fit on a Viper tailshaft without modification.

About the fit: the shifter has 8 bolts and sits very high on the transmission. Because of this, a large chunk of the tunnel needed to be cut away to fit it. New holes needed to be drilled in the crossmember in order to mount the non-Ford specific end of the thing. After that, to get the thing straight, nuts were used as spacers on the crossmember because it hung lower than the T45 it replaced.

For a bolt in thing, it caused some interesting problems, but ultimately, for the last 100 miles, I've been satisfied. I have a couple pictures of the two transmissions out of the car. If anyone is interested in seeing the obvious physical differences I could post them.

PS, I paid good money for my 5 speed knob, so I kept it on the car. I'm hoping to have a couple laughs at valet's expense watching them hunt for reverse... don't worry, I also tip them generously.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
PS, I paid good money for my 5 speed knob, so I kept it on the car. I'm hoping to have a couple laughs at valet's expense watching them hunt for reverse... don't worry, I also tip them generously.
:lmao

And is it the Viper-spec T56?

·
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a Magnum, but D and D seem to do some modification to them. I was told the tail is Viper- spec but the unit itself is the Magnum. It doesn't come with Cobra gear ratio from the factory, so I paid a (not insignificant) fee so they could swap the overdrive gears in. When it was all said and done it was 4k shipped. Then I needed a new 26t clutch. I got a Zoom 2.5. It's worlds nicer than the POS spec I had before.

Also, if you get a regular ford-spec T56, you should have no problems bolting it in. The mechanic that worked on mine had done 5-6 speed conversions before and showed me the difference in the shape and mounting points on the different trannys. Plus only the Magnum has the TKO style shifter mount, which is why the tunnel needed some surgery.

I'm interested to know if anyone else w/ this tranny had a different experience getting it in. Either way, it's a good piece for the tiny amount of time I've had it. Weird to have an 8 second capable tranny attached to a stock 2v though... I need to start saving again. The money I spent on this was my shortblock fund... next year's project now.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Sounds like your heading in the right direction with they trans. If I don't go auto with my car im putting magnum guts in my t56

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Ah. I think I'm going to opt for the Cobra T56, even if I have to replace internals, just to make installation that much easier.

Meanwhile I'm in the opposite boat as you. Shooting for a 550hp motor and still only a Mach 1 transmission to go behind it.
t56 with a 26 spine input shaft is pretty stout. i dump the clutch at 5500 rpm's with slicks and have not broken it yet

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
t56 with a 26 spine input shaft is pretty stout. i dump the clutch at 5500 rpm's with slicks and have not broken it yet
Now the hard part is just getting my hands on a used one. I thought I had one lined up, but I can't seem to get a hold of the guy now. Which really sucks, because I passed up on another one in the meantime. Oh well. Back to hurry up and wait for a T56 and my spring compressor to arrive.

·
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah. I think I'm going to opt for the Cobra T56, even if I have to replace internals, just to make installation that much easier.

Meanwhile I'm in the opposite boat as you. Shooting for a 550hp motor and still only a Mach 1 transmission to go behind it.
I'd imagine it would. It's easier to deal with if anything were to go wrong too. If my thing breaks for some reason, parts are not as available. Although, I suppose TR6060 stuff would fit. I'm just too impatient, impulsive and too irrational to have taken the normal/probably cheaper route to a built tranny.

I'm feeling like, my boat may have less chance of sinking right now, but your boat is where it's at. ;)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I'd imagine it would. It's easier to deal with if anything were to go wrong too. If my thing breaks for some reason, parts are not as available. Although, I suppose TR6060 stuff would fit. I'm just too impatient, impulsive and too irrational to have taken the normal/probably cheaper route to a built tranny.

I'm feeling like, my boat may have less chance of sinking right now, but your boat is where it's at. ;)
If only the TR6060 would fit... I looked into it and no luck. For some reason it's cheaper and more available to get the TR6060, don't ask me how. Might have something to do with everyone and their brother snapping up T56's for fox bodies too.

Of course in my boat I could just keep running my engine and blowing out transmissions, then replacing them with plentiful T3650's from the junkyard. Basically what the fox body guys do with their motors. :tomato

1 - 14 of 14 Posts