Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stock tach doesnt work i want to know what color the tach wire is that goes to the harness that plugs into the cluster... i think it is the green/yellow is that right?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes, thats the one.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
my battery already has enough pull on it and the alternator so any extra space i can make would help, and y in the world would i want to keep that inacurate stock tach and allow it to suck down juice were it can be used else were

·
Registered
540 Posts
Look at the size of that wire. It is not drawing that much current that it would matter, just not possible on so thin wire. But do whatever you want, and true bout inaccurate stock one.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
That wire goes to the negative side of the coil. Cut it if you want, but that isn't going to do anything for your charging system. Upgrade to a 3G alternator and never worry about your charging system again.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Uhh dude, wait until you cut wires... Take your tach or better yet an ohm meter and test for voltage signal. Green/yellow don't sound right. Solid green sounds more like it.

Make it easier on yourself and use your dizzy's tach wire if applicable.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tried to jump the wire from the one coming off the msd box to that one and my car wouldnt start lol so i guess its still good.. i took it off and it starts again.. ill just live without the stoch tach.. but my speedo works now..

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Nevermind.. all I have is 88 and up. Its dark gn/yellow either at the coil or at the diag plug. I don't usually use a meter to find the wire but you are supposed to because it won't potentially damage computer parts like a test light will, so I couldn't tell you what voltage range the wire is. Use the AC voltage setting on your meter and ground the black lead... or you can do it my way and use a test light. Depending on the car and the light, you will either get a flashing light or a a light that rapidly switches between pos. and neg. Should go up in voltage with throttle(if using a meter) or flash faster with a test light

Edit: Haha, I was typing all that while you posted

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Hey just wondering, what MSD box you have? The 6AL or the cheaper priced one that don't come with the tach plug? If you have the 6AL I wouldn't even worry about pin pointing wires, just wait, get a tach of your choice, and just run your wire from that to your aftermarket tach itself. It worked for me so just passing the message. at the time I had an 88 GT with a full MSD setup so I know that should work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts