Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting here right now with little work to do so I decided I would design my own sequential tail lights. I got online and looked at some of the kits available in an effort to determine what my input signals are.

There are 3 bulbs in the tail light (duh). The inside one has 2 wires while the other 2 bulbs have 3 wires. I'm guessing that the inside bulb is power and ground (pretty much has to be). I'm guessing that the bulbs w/ 3 wires are brake, ground, and turn signal.

Question, when you push the brakes do all 3 bulbs light up? When you have the turn signal on, does it only use the 2 outside bulbs?

I can check when I get home but I don't have my car right now and I'm trying to get it designed.

·
Old timer
9,296 Posts
Yeah I am pretty sure the outside two bulbs are brakes and blinker, and the only time the inside light comes on is when the lights are turned on.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
ryan is right. the inside bulbs are just tail lights. Turn on and thats it. The outer 2 are your signa/brake bulbs

Reactions: 03SonicBoom

·
Cones = Yummy!
2,241 Posts
I'm sitting here right now with little work to do so I decided I would design my own sequential tail lights. I got online and looked at some of the kits available in an effort to determine what my input signals are.

There are 3 bulbs in the tail light (duh). The inside one has 2 wires while the other 2 bulbs have 3 wires. I'm guessing that the inside bulb is power and ground (pretty much has to be). I'm guessing that the bulbs w/ 3 wires are brake, ground, and turn signal.

Question, when you push the brakes do all 3 bulbs light up? When you have the turn signal on, does it only use the 2 outside bulbs?

I can check when I get home but I don't have my car right now and I'm trying to get it designed.
When you hit the brakes both sides "sequence" then stay solid, with the brake on all are solid, but if the turn signal is on it sequences that side..

As for the wiring, yeah there are 2 into the inside light and 3 wires feeding off the 1st in the 2nd and 3rd lights. You splice into the main light the devide goes between the main power of the first light.. M&M(below) has the directions on their sight I belive.

This one is a tick faster than mine I think.. (not 100% sure since I'm never behind myself when I'm driving)

Got my kit on ebay for $50.00, works like a charm took 20min to install and most of that was taking the damn liner in the trunk out..

1999 200 2001 2002 2003-4 Sequential Mustang Taillights:eBay Motors (item 230393821952 end time Nov-28-09 22:34:05 PST)

you can also buy direct from their web site, getting different speeds and such..

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^^
Thanks man but I'm not buying a kit. I designed my own circuit and was trying to work out the input signals w/out my car. It cost me just under $5 for the parts.

Also, thanks weems and F8L for your answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts