Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just bought some nice LX taillights for my GT today for $20. They a few really fine scratches bit they are in really really good shape and i was looking to tint them but want it to be safe so i can actually have my brake lites pass through so i dont get rearended.

My question is do you guys have any Recommended Brands you prefer? And are there any other there that allow light to pass through them better than others?

Also what can i do to get these fine scratches out?

Thanks for the help guys, i greatly appreciate it!

·
6 Time ROTM Loser!
5,163 Posts
I would go get some vht and clear coat locally.

you can wetsand, vht, wetsand, clearcoat. you can always do more coats, but if you just want a slight tint, I would do 2 coats....just make sure you do clearcoat late after you have the amount of tint you want.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would go get some vht and clear coat locally.

you can wetsand, vht, wetsand, clearcoat. you can always do more coats, but if you just want a slight tint, I would do 2 coats....just make sure you do clearcoat late after you have the amount of tint you want.
Yeah i was looking at VHT Nightshade is that the stuff your thinking of? Ive never used any of these tinting sprays before, Will this or any other brands allow the break light to still shine through? B/c if possible i would like it dark but still allow light ideally.

·
6 Time ROTM Loser!
5,163 Posts
yep thats the stuff. as long as you dont put to many coats itll will show through just fine. the more coats the less light. you can put a couple coatz on, then test them and see if you like it, then do another coat. just spray a light even coat over it. obviously make sure its the right location and conditions.

i have a video ill post later tonight of mine with 2 coats and no clear coat. but im still gunna go back amd wetsand and use clear with another vht coat or 2

·
Registered
197 Posts
Im looking to doing the same look but i hate the design on the GT tailights, but wont be giving in to covers either. Theyre too regular, i want a nice custom fresh look, you know

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i love the look of the 1979 tail lights the most
Yeah always thought the ASC McLaren Tail lights were pretty sweet too, almost got my hands on some but never worked out, would have been something a little different though.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
yep thats the stuff. as long as you dont put to many coats itll will show through just fine. the more coats the less light. you can put a couple coatz on, then test them and see if you like it, then do another coat. just spray a light even coat over it. obviously make sure its the right location and conditions.

i have a video ill post later tonight of mine with 2 coats and no clear coat. but im still gunna go back amd wetsand and use clear with another vht coat or 2
This. Remember to do light coats so that you don't get any run spots and so that you don't accidentally get them too dark.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This. Remember to do light coats so that you don't get any run spots and so that you don't accidentally get them too dark.
Ok so i have to sand the taillights with 2000 grit sandpaper first to get the shine off the lens so the Nightshade can stick correct?

My question is what can i do about the fine scratches that i already have on my Taillights to get rid of them???:sorry

And after i put on the 2-3 coats of Nightshade Should i put clear coat on the taillights? And of so what brand/type is recommended?

And finally to finish them off should i use any kind of rubbing compound? Or anything?

Thanks for the help greatly appreciated!

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Yes, you're going to want to sand the tail lights prior to applying the VHT. I think I used some 1500 grit sandpaper. You basically just want something for the paint to grab on to but you don't want to gouge up your tail lights.

If there are already scratches you can try wetsanding with some finer grit sandpapers.

Clear coat is optional, it depends on what you want your tail lights to look like. If you look at my sig, I did one very light coat of clear coat and decided I didn't want my tail lights to be glossy (since my blackout panel is satin). If you want a glossy look, use clear coat. I would recommend either Krylon or Duplicolor for clear coats. I personally prefer Krylon but I know a lot of guys around here prefer Duplicolor.

To finish you'll want to wetsand with a some fine sandpaper and I think plastic polish is recommended.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome thanks for the help guys i greatly appreciate it!

I saw a video on Youtube and he used Meguiars Ultimate Compound after the whole process to fill in all the scratches and give a nice polish. It looked pretty nice after, i was wondering has anyone ever used this stuff, It looked really nice, and should i use it or recommend something else?

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/search_results.cfm

Thanks again for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, you're going to want to sand the tail lights prior to applying the VHT. I think I used some 1500 grit sandpaper. You basically just want something for the paint to grab on to but you don't want to gouge up your tail lights.

If there are already scratches you can try wetsanding with some finer grit sandpapers.

Clear coat is optional, it depends on what you want your tail lights to look like. If you look at my sig, I did one very light coat of clear coat and decided I didn't want my tail lights to be glossy (since my blackout panel is satin). If you want a glossy look, use clear coat. I would recommend either Krylon or Duplicolor for clear coats. I personally prefer Krylon but I know a lot of guys around here prefer Duplicolor.

To finish you'll want to wetsand with a some fine sandpaper and I think plastic polish is recommended.
Well i went to the auto parts store and got everything except the Clear Coat. I saw the only one they had in stock was a "Acrylic Clear" And i wasnt sure if that was the right stuff or if i want an enamel or what exactly i need. Thought i would ask you guys and check before i bought it. Sorry for all the questions but i figured once i do it i cant really go back, so i figure id better do it right the first time hah. But thanks a lot for your help and patients it is greatly appreciated! So thank you!

·
Registered
398 Posts
this is the clear i picked up from oriellys

and i will whore a few pics :D sprayed them today

stock

3 light coats

the set

1 - 16 of 16 Posts