Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the damn cops got me the other day for no front plate (no biggie), loud exhaust ($130 fine, assholes), and the worst part- modified taillights- they are painted with tint. So now I need to buy new ones to go to the sherriff's inspection. I've got a 01 cobra. My question is about the diff between all the available options. I know the 99-01 cobra lenses have the amber turn signal on the bottom, and I'm pretty sure the 03-04s are all red but have the turn signal seperate on the bottom too, and the 99-04 non-cobra lenses use the same bulbs for the brake and turn signal. Is this correct? Can I get some cheapie aftermarket non-cobra lights and make them work for the inspection (I'll obviously put mine back on). I really don't wanna buy a new set for a few hundred, and for some reason I can only find driver side lenses on ebay, and they're like 75 bucks. Any help???

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Regular taillights will work just fine. There really no difference except in the color design

·
Registered
551 Posts
not true, the 99-01 cobra tailights have different wiring due to the seperate blinkers on the bottom so you would have to buy cheap tails specifically for ur car which im not sure if they sell. and the 03-04 cobra tails are the same as all the other mustangs

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
whats the fine for no front plate?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That really sucks man..loud exhuast thats just retarded! Ive been trying to get ahold of the 99 cobra lights for a year now and they are hard to come by cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Try going to the Ford dealer and ask them how much it is for a set of Export Taillights are. Don't mention you have a Cobra, just an '01 Mustang, and see what they say. The '99 and '01 Cobras used the same style lenses as you would find on Mustangs going over the pond to England. I just don't know if the part numbers are the same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No fine for the plate, just a fix-it ticket (ten bucks and and a trip to the sheriff's station).

So the 03-04 cobra lights are the same as all 99-04 non cobras? Because some of these assholes on ebay are selling them for more saying that they're genuine cobra tails, but if there's no diff...
Even so, they still won't work for me if the wiring is different. Crap!

Anyone in the Los Angeles area with a 99-01 cobra wanna trade tailights for a day???

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Anyone in the Los Angeles area with a 99-01 cobra wanna trade tailights for a day???
i would try that.. maybe do a search on autotrader or something and call some folks lol

·
Registered
551 Posts
they may be genuine cobra tails right off a cobra but theyre no diff then my GT ones. very veryyyyy clean car btw, i like it alot. saleen side skirts and side scoops?

·
Registered
131 Posts
:dunnoWhy did you tint your 01 taillights?! Those are sooo sick and rare with the amber. You should have bought used GT lights to tint and saved your 01 lights.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
another idea.. what do they inspect?? you could probably temp. wire some reg lamps up to work if they need to see em functional..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:dunnoWhy did you tint your 01 taillights?! Those are sooo sick and rare with the amber. You should have bought used GT lights to tint and saved your 01 lights.
I know they're rare (that's why I can't find any) I personally wouldn't have tinted these, but I bought the car used, and it already was done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts