Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 v6 with a T5 tranny. I'm having problems installing new extension housing, tailshaft, seal. seems to big. any tips on how to get it in. its for a manual tranny.
I bought a pipe hoping that works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
first off, did you match the new seal with the orginal, if you purchased the seal from a parts store, auto zone etc, ive got the wrong seal plenty of times, 2nd test fit the new seal on the drive line yoke to make sure the inner diameter is the same ,should be a nice snug fit, and 3rd a good seal driver and a ball peen hammer works perfect, if not then a big socket that fits around the outer diameter of the seal works good too, but you will have to use a hammer to install the seal into the tail housing. trail and error if you never done one before

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first off, did you match the new seal with the orginal, if you purchased the seal from a parts store, auto zone etc, ive got the wrong seal plenty of times, 2nd test fit the new seal on the drive line yoke to make sure the inner diameter is the same ,should be a nice snug fit, and 3rd a good seal driver and a ball peen hammer works perfect, if not then a big socket that fits around the outer diameter of the seal works good too, but you will have to use a hammer to install the seal into the tail housing. trail and error if you never done one before
The new one is slighty larger then the old seal. The new seal has a metal ring vs the OEM is rubber. I'm wondering if there is a difference between the automatic seal and the manual seal.. Maybe they are giving me the auto seal. I attemped the other day beating it with a pipe but that didnt work. Its prob my fault for not making sure if it was the seal for a manual transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked it out and Advance said it for a auto tranny. and that they dont have the manual one. I tried rockauto.com and they dont even have a extention housing seal for a manual tranny.

Anyone have a part# and website that I can go by??? :?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts