Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i havent updated since my return from afghanistan so here goes: got my boss 302 manifold installed, threw on the bama tune, ford racing shocks struts and springs, bmr lca's and adjustable pan hard bar... im in love how everything compliments eachother so well.

Well here is the skinny, was jumpin onto the higheay the otherday and decided to have a little fun. Well when shifting from second to third i missed the shift and hit 5th a little weird. Now i basically cant get it into fifth without grinding and being kicked out no matter how easy/slow i take it. It has also become horribly notchy in every gear regaurdless of it being cold or warmed up. Made the decision to take her in to be looked at. Hopeflly they dont try to tell me that my MGW was the cause(which i know its not). Just a bit worried that they may try to pull that. Never quite got a clear answer about whether or not they were mod friendly. My question is I shouldnt have anything to be worried about right? Maybe im just a little paranoid.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So i havent updated since my return from afghanistan so here goes: got my boss 302 manifold installed, threw on the bama tune, ford racing shocks struts and springs, bmr lca's and adjustable pan hard bar... im in love how everything compliments eachother so well.

Well here is the skinny, was jumpin onto the higheay the otherday and decided to have a little fun. Well when shifting from second to third i missed the shift and hit 5th a little weird. Now i basically cant get it into fifth without grinding and being kicked out no matter how easy/slow i take it. It has also become horribly notchy in every gear regaurdless of it being cold or warmed up. Made the decision to take her in to be looked at. Hopeflly they dont try to tell me that my MGW was the cause(which i know its not). Just a bit worried that they may try to pull that. Never quite got a clear answer about whether or not they were mod friendly. My question is I shouldnt have anything to be worried about right? Maybe im just a little paranoid.

I might recommend taking off the boss manifold and the mgw shifter. this will minimize the amount of hassle the dealership will give you. since those two mods are easy to spot. also put the factory tune back on. that way if they do try to flash your ECU for whatever reason you won't have your tuner lock and not usable anymore. good luck with getting the car fixed

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya those arnt options... no time to do all the swapping and i will just tell them to not flash it

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
I say just change the shifter back out. They might give you **** about the intake but there is a law (I forget the name but someone will chime in with it) that says unless they can prove the part caused the failure, they still have to honor the warranty. If the factory shifter is in there, they won't have any reason not to fix it. You can tell them not to reflash it as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have access to the right tools to reswap out the shifter, id have liked to but its just something im gonna havw to deal with :/

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
That's your best bet. If the dealership sees the shifter, they'll probably blame it on it to get out of the warranty repair whether or not it was the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say just change the shifter back out. They might give you **** about the intake but there is a law (I forget the name but someone will chime in with it) that says unless they can prove the part caused the failure, they still have to honor the warranty. If the factory shifter is in there, they won't have any reason not to fix it. You can tell them not to reflash it as well.
the law is Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. if your not going to take the shifter out. I wish you luck and hopefully you will go to a nice mod-friendly dealership, because otherwise I would prepare you to get stuck with the bill and a voided transmission warranty at minimum. sucks but just want to be honest with you

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would recommend buy a simple tool set. you should be able to purchase the tools for under $70. that is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new transmission. I hope this help man. not trying to be rude, just trying to help you

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would recommend buy a simple tool set. you should be able to purchase the tools for under $70. that is a lot cheaper than having to buy a new transmission. I hope this help man. not trying to be rude, just trying to help you
x2
damn man, that some **** luck right there :(
Good luck and keep us updated on what goes on with the car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My problem is that iys going in before 8am tomorrow, thats y i cant swap it out... ya im hoping that it gets covered but im ready for the worst. Ill keep ya'll posted

·
'Stang Noob
338 Posts
My problem is that iys going in before 8am tomorrow, thats y i cant swap it out... ya im hoping that it gets covered but im ready for the worst. Ill keep ya'll posted
Or just postpone your appointment. I would def take the shifter out. GL report back what they tell you.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
Sorry to hear that bro, I will keep an eye on this thread, I am curious to know what happened

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
All you need is a 10 mm socket to pull the shifter out(unless it's cocked a little to the side and have to lower it some by loosening the shifter bracket, but that's a 10mm deep socket).
With the boss manifold and tune they can try and say since it's revving higher(assuming your limiter is raised to 7700+) it's putting more strain on the transmission and that's what is causing the issue(mentioned having this on mine to a dealership and that's what their response was going to be if I had more transmission issues and I just lol'd at him).
I'd take others advices and push the appointment back and at least change the shifter out, because if they are the typical dealership, the second they see it, they are going to blame everything on it.

·
Ford Master Tech
703 Posts
Honestly I would keep driving it until it keeps getting worst and you have the time to swap it out. Doesnt have to go in today.

I just wouldnt let the shifter be the determining factor between haveing a transmission for free or 3k.

-Thomas

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
If you think the issue was caused by the shifter, why wouldn't you look at your shifter install? Is it possible something happened to the spring?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No im certain it doesnt have to deal with the shifter. Before i took it there i went over everything once more and made sure it was all tightened up and had nothing to do on my end. Worse case im a guinea pig and i gotta pay outta pocket and i can forever warn others. I shouldnt need a new trans, mine has been pretty solid for all the 14k ive put on it.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts

K_Boss01GT,

I'm sorry to hear about your 5th gear! It sounds like somethings going on with the 5th gear synchros to do the missed shift. Best of luck at the dealership, let me know if we can be of any assistance!

-Dan

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I sure as hell wouldnt want to be a $3k guinea pig. I hope the outcome is good for you. But i would be really surprised if a dealer eats the cost of a transmission when they can easily blame it on a shifter. 30 minutes of work to swap it out is well worth it to me. Hope it is nothing major and they take care of it for you.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
$3K? If he ends up having to pay out of pocket he might as well spend a couple more and install the tried and true T56 Magnum XL kit that's out for our cars. lol

It all depends on the dealer as to whether they'll give you much crap or not. When I took mine back in this second time about the notchiness in this second transmission, he asked if I had a shifter in a manner that made me wonder if he was trying to hint towards buying one to help it out.

Some dealers are more mod friendly than others and some dealers also are struggling for business....some of which they can get by bending the rules on warranty work. But of course that "never happens".

·
Ford Master Tech
703 Posts
$3K? If he ends up having to pay out of pocket he might as well spend a couple more and install the tried and true T56 Magnum XL kit that's out for our cars. lol

It all depends on the dealer as to whether they'll give you much crap or not. When I took mine back in this second time about the notchiness in this second transmission, he asked if I had a shifter in a manner that made me wonder if he was trying to hint towards buying one to help it out.

Some dealers are more mod friendly than others and some dealers also are struggling for business....some of which they can get by bending the rules on warranty work. But of course that "never happens".

I completely agree with the last part. There are 4 types of dealers to me.

1. Mod Friendly
2. Slow and needs work and will work around mods
3. Has techs that have common sense and know a shifter does not directly effect an internal trans issue.
4. Pricks

The dealer I work at is 1,2 and 3. We work around everything, all the service writers know about cars and will write it up warranty even if there is aftermarket parts.

Just a random scenario customer brings in a 2006 f-250. Throwing a baro code, notice he has a edge programmer. Go though the pinpoint tests for dtc, nothing makes sense, unplug programmer and code is gone. Chaulked it up as a lost on time and explained to the customer myself. You win some and lose some.

-Thomas

1 - 20 of 55 Posts