Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since I have no emission testing, i want to take off at least to cats for now.

questions about this...

witch would be best to remove? the 2 right after the manifold (yes i still have that) or the 2 before the mufflers?

are they welded in or clamped in?

more questions will be asked when these are answered.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
cut them off with a sawzaw (since most shops will not touch them...even in a non emission county)

zip tie the loose tubing to the under carriage...then drive to a shop to have tubing welded in...you'll have a code thrown until you elliminate it with either mil eliminators or a tune..

hope that helps

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
I had my lower cats removed when I had my duals done... Precats still on.

looks good...just doesn't have the bungs on it for the rear o2's...i know the OP isn't going to have emissions...but if he ever has an inspection for any reason down the road it would help to be able to pass a visual.

or....does the v6 have the rear o2's further up the tubing? i haven't taken cats off my v6, just my GT so i don't know o2 placements.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cut them off with a sawzaw (since most shops will not touch them...even in a non emission county)

zip tie the loose tubing to the under carriage...then drive to a shop to have tubing welded in...you'll have a code thrown until you elliminate it with either mil eliminators or a tune..

hope that helps
that will be god loud if I drive there with nothing past the manifold lol

but thanks brah

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
that will be god loud if I drive there with nothing past the manifold lol

but thanks brah
won't be too loud believe me...you'll still have the reasonators on lol

run open LT headers to a shop then tell me if you're cut cats are loud :yes

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my lower cats removed when I had my duals done... Precats still on.

would there be any sound difference between the precats being removed or the main cats?

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
would there be any sound difference between the precats being removed or the main cats?
major difference in loudness..think of the precats as resonators basically...not gonna change much if you take them off instead of the main cats...

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
IIRC, the o2s are right before the lower cats... They cut the cats off right after the o2 sensors... Then they just welded shut those o2 sensor holes on the h-pipe...

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
id be the same just without the H. sweet beans. I'll look into this when i get out of school next week.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lol It was never a secret...

That sir, is what my setup is. Stock headers, precats, NO lower cats, h-pipe, flow orig 40s, GT tailpipes...
Do you pass the California sniffer test with this set up? I want to do the same thing, but I'm worried it'll blow dirty.

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Do you pass the California sniffer test with this set up? I want to do the same thing, but I'm worried it'll blow dirty.
I'm not due for another smog check till next year... The muffler shop that did my exhaust "assures" that I should pass the smog check...:dunno

1 - 20 of 38 Posts