Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for another vehicle. There's nothing wrong with the Jeep, but it has 175k miles and I feel like it's time to pick up a 3rd vehicle (for something to drive if one goes down for repair). Being a moderator here, I think it's an unwritten rule that whatever I buy can NOT be a Mustang. :lol I need something that has 4 doors and 4 USEABLE seats. At the same time, I don't want something that's going to be completely boring. Getting a little older, I'm also wanting something with a decent ride and options.

That leads me to a 2011+ Taurus SHO. My question is this, does anyone here happen to know of any major issue or problems why I shouldn't go this route? I know this is a Mustang forum, but many are Ford enthusiasts. So, anything bad that should cause me to look for something else?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I own a 11 Sho and let me tell you... Awesome car. So far there aren't really any major problems with them. Just minor things that fords lack of judgement on design amongst other things. The drivers seat for one is leather and vinyl and the vinyl tends to rip at a certain spot right above the controls for the seats. The awd system isn't all time. It only kicks in at certain times. The PTU (power transfer unit) for the awd system has gear oil that is said, by ford, to be lifetime and never need changing. It's a lie. The oil becomes thick to the point of PTU failure but that is usually for those that track their car and engage the awd system constantly. The transmission sometimes, in some cars, has a slight thud when accelerating gently like letting the car naturally move forward. This is caused by a design flaw in the valve body to which ford techs have to remove and extra check ball and drill a hole in a place that was closed but supposed to have a hole to allow the fluid to circulate. I have yet to see a tranny failure due to it. Some have experienced the front hub bearings failing and warped rotors. The fix for the rotors was was to upgrade to the performance package brackets and pads. And finally, the Sync system.. Stay up to date with it.

If you are to get the car just make sure that all of those are taken care off. They may fight you about the PTU fluid needing changed but if you are persistent enough they will do it. Excellent car over all and always get compliments on it.

Now there are two versions. The non performance package and the performance package. The PP, as it's known, comes with 20's and instead of a spare tire has an air compressor and slime delivery system built in one. They also come with the aforementioned brake upgrade. Nothing really major just different bracket, supposedly, and better pads. They both can come with either a screen or not, back up cam in rear view, auto dimming mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats, rear shade, dual climate control, rear vents for rear passengers, Sony system with sync, seat position memory, hid's, ps seat controls, usb, Bluetooth, aux, sunroof, etc.

Let me know if you've got any questions. Hope it helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

And if I recall you are an audiophile. For a factory system it is probably the best I've heard to date. The design into it was well executed. Not only does it have proper component system and dedicated Subs, all of which are properly aimed, they also have implemented a center channel speaker. Let me tell you, it fills in the void of sound that so many people overlook. It's now complete. Time alignment for sound is above par for a factory vehicle as well. The highs are not overwhelming and have great range as do the subs and mids. Everything is harmonious sound to your ears. It's one of the things that sold me on the car amongst the other things. Makes driving even more enjoyable for me and my commutes are about 30-40 each way to work. Also, I average about 21-24 mpg.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Seems like the guys who have them really, really adore them.

I have never driven one, all I can tell you is they look bad ass and I really enjoy the 3.5 EB in my sisters Ex sport.

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
The only thing I hate is that for being so big, there isn't a lot of room. The newer Fusions actually offer more interior space. They may not be as "fun", but that's something a BW EFR will fix right up. :yes

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Weird. My buddy owns a fusion and hates the space and finds that my SHO had more room. I'm 6" and sit far back and the rear passengers always have leg room to maneuver.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a 11 Sho and let me tell you... Awesome car. So far there aren't really any major problems with them. Just minor things that fords lack of judgement on design amongst other things. The drivers seat for one is leather and vinyl and the vinyl tends to rip at a certain spot right above the controls for the seats. The awd system isn't all time. It only kicks in at certain times. The PTU (power transfer unit) for the awd system has gear oil that is said, by ford, to be lifetime and never need changing. It's a lie. The oil becomes thick to the point of PTU failure but that is usually for those that track their car and engage the awd system constantly. The transmission sometimes, in some cars, has a slight thud when accelerating gently like letting the car naturally move forward. This is caused by a design flaw in the valve body to which ford techs have to remove and extra check ball and drill a hole in a place that was closed but supposed to have a hole to allow the fluid to circulate. I have yet to see a tranny failure due to it. Some have experienced the front hub bearings failing and warped rotors. The fix for the rotors was was to upgrade to the performance package brackets and pads. And finally, the Sync system.. Stay up to date with it.

If you are to get the car just make sure that all of those are taken care off. They may fight you about the PTU fluid needing changed but if you are persistent enough they will do it. Excellent car over all and always get compliments on it.

Now there are two versions. The non performance package and the performance package. The PP, as it's known, comes with 20's and instead of a spare tire has an air compressor and slime delivery system built in one. They also come with the aforementioned brake upgrade. Nothing really major just different bracket, supposedly, and better pads. They both can come with either a screen or not, back up cam in rear view, auto dimming mirrors, heated mirrors, heated seats, rear shade, dual climate control, rear vents for rear passengers, Sony system with sync, seat position memory, hid's, ps seat controls, usb, Bluetooth, aux, sunroof, etc.

Let me know if you've got any questions. Hope it helps.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

And if I recall you are an audiophile. For a factory system it is probably the best I've heard to date. The design into it was well executed. Not only does it have proper component system and dedicated Subs, all of which are properly aimed, they also have implemented a center channel speaker. Let me tell you, it fills in the void of sound that so many people overlook. It's now complete. Time alignment for sound is above par for a factory vehicle as well. The highs are not overwhelming and have great range as do the subs and mids. Everything is harmonious sound to your ears. It's one of the things that sold me on the car amongst the other things. Makes driving even more enjoyable for me and my commutes are about 30-40 each way to work. Also, I average about 21-24 mpg.

That's good to hear. I was hoping people wouldn't have terrible reviews/experiences with them.

The only thing I hate is that for being so big, there isn't a lot of room. The newer Fusions actually offer more interior space. They may not be as "fun", but that's something a BW EFR will fix right up. :yes
Hmm, that's good to know. When comparing the specs online it shows the Taurus has more room in all interior measurements (headroom, legroom, hip room, front and rear) except front leg room where the Fusion has almost 1/2" more. I'm only 5'11" so my seat is never all the way back anyways. But I will definitely go back to the dealers and sit in both the Taurus and Fusion. Thanks for the tip.

·
Dirt Dives Me Crazy
1,197 Posts
Parents have a 13 SHO with every option. The only issues they've had was an axle needed replaced under recall and a rear caliper hung up and needed replaced. Besides that its a great car. My mom says it rides too rough for her lol. BTW 05+ 18" mustang wheels fit these cars. My parents are running a set of 2012 18" aluminum stockers for winter wheels. Also goes great in snow too. They have actual winter tires though too mounted on the mustang wheels.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Parents have a 13 SHO with every option. The only issues they've had was an axle needed replaced under recall and a rear caliper hung up and needed replaced. Besides that its a great car. My mom says it rides too rough for her lol. BTW 05+ 18" mustang wheels fit these cars. My parents are running a set of 2012 18" aluminum stockers for winter wheels. Also goes great in snow too. They have actual winter tires though too mounted on the mustang wheels.

That recall was only on the 13's and up. 13's and up look good too. The front was redesigned, flower wheels, led tail lights, amongst other things. They also came come with upgraded turbos and a tranny cooler. They learned from the design flaws on their first iteration.

·
GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
8,813 Posts
My experiance with turas sho/police interceptors are the turbos, ive seen way to many cop cars (sho with a difrent badge) eat the turbos when running them hard for extended length of times. I luke them tho, thier quick as hell, and comfy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
all i know is that i want one, bad.. probably the only car i would sell my car for

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
all i know is that i want one, bad.. probably the only car i would sell my car for

I love mine. She is a great car. If I could do it over though I would've purchased a 13-up as the simple design changes to the front end and other things just really give that sedan a more aggressive look.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did sit in a 2011 Taurus SEL (they didn't have any SHO but the inside should be the same) and a 2012 Fusion for a size comparison. It's not a huge difference, but I still feel the Taurus seems bigger.

So here I am just waiting for the right deal to come along.....

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I did sit in a 2011 Taurus SEL (they didn't have any SHO but the inside should be the same) and a 2012 Fusion for a size comparison. It's not a huge difference, but I still feel the Taurus seems bigger.

So here I am just waiting for the right deal to come along.....

The inside is generally the same but with differences between the sho and the sel

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
My mom is picking up her SHO here on tuesday. Will let you know how that is. I'm kinda sad because we didn't know there was a performance package until after we ordered. But oh well. Can't wait to see the car!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
My mom is picking up her SHO here on tuesday. Will let you know how that is. I'm kinda sad because we didn't know there was a performance package until after we ordered. But oh well. Can't wait to see the car!

Nice. What color did she go with?

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Platinum white with the SHO wheels. Was going to the 5 spoke 20" wheels but this car was a better deal. Currently the car is at the dealer getting the windows tinted. 35/5/5%

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
Platinum white with the SHO wheels. Was going to the 5 spoke 20" wheels but this car was a better deal. Currently the car is at the dealer getting the windows tinted. 35/5/5%

Yeah, that white is gorgeous on the SHO. All the colors make the car attractive but the white just has that attractive allure to it on that car.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Yeah, that white is gorgeous on the SHO. All the colors make the car attractive but the white just has that attractive allure to it on that car and good choice on the wheels. Those SHO flower wheels are real nice. Wish mine came with them.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Thats what Im hearing. We were on a battle between the magnetic and that. I think the white will be perfect tho.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts