Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have my 2.25" dual exhaust, and don't feel like taking the car into anyshops anytime soon, meaning gears are out of the question.

I plan on picking up a CAI and a SCT xcal 2/3 from Justin at VMP

With that small combo of mods what 1/4 times should you be running?
I ran a 16.1 this fall with only dual exhaust and spinning my tires, they had no tread left, and it was my first time ever racing at the track.

I look at all the timeslips on 3.8 mustangs and they have stock 99-04's running 15's, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong and if this will get me into solid 15 sec runs.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
first do you have a auto or stick
if auto those will always be slower in stock from then a stick with a good driver.

you should be in the 15's with those mods bot don't expect to be braking in to the 14's with out some more work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an auto. I have a feeling I could've gotten into the 15's that day, but I don't know why I didn't.
I know I won't get into the 14's, I'm hoping this summer 4.10's and T-lok will do that for me.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
It's an auto. I have a feeling I could've gotten into the 15's that day, but I don't know why I didn't.
I know I won't get into the 14's, I'm hoping this summer 4.10's and T-lok will do that for me.
ya those and some nice trany mods aka j-mod, shift kit, and tq converter
sould realy help.
then throw some dr's on to help you hook up and you will get down the track a lot faster.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, nitrous is kind of out of the question though. My motor is at around 97k miles, pushing 100, don't want to blow anything, even with a tune. It's my DD so I don't wanna go all out, especially since I'm going to be buying a new GT when i'm out of college.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
ya those and some nice trany mods aka j-mod, shift kit, and tq converter
sould realy help.
then throw some dr's on to help you hook up and you will get down the track a lot faster.
if you put DR's on it will tear the rear end apart because the stock 7.5 isnt strong enough to handle it. Dr's are just to sticky, you need to beef up the read end first, and even then it could still mess stuff up

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
if you are just spinning then ease off the throttle.. once you hook up then hit it.. with my auto i usually just hold the brake and step on the gas until my tires want to spin... i keep it held there until its time to launch, let off the brake quickly and ease into the gas.. if done right your tires will just chirp and there wont be other wheel spin... thats how i launch mine

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
if you put DR's on it will tear the rear end apart because the stock 7.5 isnt strong enough to handle it. Dr's are just to sticky, you need to beef up the read end first, and even then it could still mess stuff up
i was talking about dr's after he gets the t-lock and gears.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally I think the tuner for one will make a world of difference it did for me. I think it can shave 1 sec 1/4 mile. The cai will make a small differece. I first got a cai then the tuner and then the dual exhaust. I got my dual exhaust about 2 weeks after the tuner and I didn't notice a difference lol. I'm sure I got 20 hp off the exhaust. I ran JBA headers to custom 2.25-2.5 whatever h-pipe to magnaflows. Getting gears this spring maybe a different rearend since everyone recommends beefing that up. Gonna blow money on my interior and exterior also. Whhels,tires,seats,maybe rear seat delete,cd player,maybe speakers,and I still need to wet sand and buff the stupid new paint job lol.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
a tune for 1 full second in the 1/4?

you do realize that 1 full second at 14 seconds is appx. equal to 100 additional hp?

a tune will shave at most .5 off the e/t for N/A, and this is with adjusting spark, timing, shift points, etc. on top of the flash.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Don’t think that you gained 20 hp just from your exhaust. Especially when you said that the cai was more noticeable then it. A cai is good for about 1 hp at the crank that is not something you are going to really feel.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
how much do you want to spend on the car? cause a shift kit and the tuner will be more beneficial than a CAI and about the same price. you should be in the 15.5-15.8 rage with some good tires if you go that route

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
chris made it into 14's without F/I

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
chris made it into 14's without F/I
ya true but you need more then just exhaust, cai, and a tuner to do it. gears and a t lock help a lot. as well as ud pullys.
AB is also in the 14's with out F/I

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
and i was in the 15.0-15.05 range until i got the drag radials... they made the world of difference. cut the 60' from 2.2x to 2.1x and the e/t down nearly .3

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
i never made 14s all motor? i dont know if your refering to me
and btw im running 313rwhp and 318rwtq made a 13.1 pass with a slipping second gear and my 7.5 rear end with Drag Radials!
i dont recommend it though
BUT with bolt on's and a t-lok you won't have a problem with drag tires and your 7.5

i took off about .3-.4 off my 1/8mile slip from stock to a 93octane tune which wasnt to great

CAI and xcal2 from justin is deffinitly the way to go. especially from Justin at VMP!

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
... good tires sound like the next modification you should get

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am getting FR500 black wheels this spring 18x9. Thinking what tires are best for me to put on its a daily driven car. I was thinking of getting some good years btw. Also maybe I have the wrong damn car lol. I want to be super fast its concievable for me to have cai,tuner,dual exhaust,gears,8.8 rearend,turbo, nitrous,cam, shifter,throttle body and spacer all by 2009 How fast would that get me w/o having slicks or a drag type car? Btw twin-turbo or s/c whichever is the best of the best.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
Turbos are the most efficient

Why do you want n2o if you are not going to have a drag car.

And power wise you are not going to see any thing above 350rwhp with out a built bottom end.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
I am getting FR500 black wheels this spring 18x9. Thinking what tires are best for me to put on its a daily driven car. I was thinking of getting some good years btw. Also maybe I have the wrong damn car lol. I want to be super fast its concievable for me to have cai,tuner,dual exhaust,gears,8.8 rearend,turbo, nitrous,cam, shifter,throttle body and spacer all by 2009 How fast would that get me w/o having slicks or a drag type car? Btw twin-turbo or s/c whichever is the best of the best.
get Nitto 555s, you dont need a TB unless you port your upper and lower intake to match, you never need a spacer, just port and polish your stock TB, and your hp depends on a lot of things with that setup, boost number tune, N2O jet size ect

1 - 20 of 32 Posts