Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, the car randomly acts up, rpms bounce, car revs up and down then eventually dies. This only happens once a week. It's does all this and dies, then when I start it up it idles with higher rpms and when I let off gas it stays at current rpms for a bit then eventually falls. Sometimes it even runs the rpms up when driving! Mechanic said it's the ETC and can't fix it as it can't only be fixed by ford.. Advice?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would take the TB off and give it a good cleaning. These engines create a lot of blowby that gums up the throttle plates. Also, while you are in there its good insurance to clean out the MAF with some electrical contact cleaner. But be careful spraying it in there and do not dry it, just let it air dry.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I just took the Throttle body completely off, sprayed it with tb cleaner, then scrubbed off all the nasty grease and grime. Took it or a test drive and that's the best it's ran since I bought it. Just worries how long that will last? Since the mechanic said the etc was going bad

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
If that fixed your problem than the TB is fine. It should last quite some time. How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About 86k miles on it. The reason I'm worried if it fixed it or not is because I've cleaned it before, not as detailed of a cleaning, and it only lasted about a week before problems were back

·
Registered
739 Posts
You should look at getting an oil separator, if it seems to be getting that dirty that fast. I put on a JLT oil separator and after about 500 miles of driving I have accumulated a tablespoon of blow-by. I am not sure if it completely stops the oil from getting into the intake system but I am sure it is helping a great deal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
apparently the cleaning fooled me. I did the thorough clean this morning, and by 2 am this morning the car was going in to limp home state with the wrench. Pisses me off. Had to kill it twice to drive home the rest of the 2 miles..

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
by you saying your car shuts off, i dont think its the TB. i only speak of my experience, theres better qualified people like NASTY and some others. but a dirty TB most likely will just screw with throttle and rpm hanging. i have a very bad TB at the moment, but its never caused my car to shut off. but it does constantly hang my rpms and throttle

id say its something with the fuel. but, im by far not an expert

whens the last time you changed your fuel filter, spark plugs?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I changed fuel filter in September and havent changed the spark plugs.. Owned the car since august

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tried that, got some MAF sensor cleaner in a can and sprayed it a few times as directed

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
check to see if maybe something is in fuel filter. might be worth a quick check. i still say it something with fuel. is there a way to test the pump? or a sign its going out?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Could be a bad TPS sensor as well. I had that go bad in my Explorer and was getting the same symptoms as you are now having with going into limp mode and all that. All it did was throw the wrench light with no codes, and then one day the wrench light came on along with the check engine light and the codes all pointed to a bad TPS. Changed it out and everything has been fine since. It is more likely that it is fuel related, but just wanted to throw that out there as a possibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts