Modded Mustang Forums banner

161 - 180 of 282 Posts

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Have an appointment on the 18th to get my subframe connectors welded in. I really wish I knew how to weld it would save me so much money.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Even knowing how to weld, the sfcs are a bitch. getting into the space under the car without a lift is a nightmare. That said if you could rent a lift and knew how to weld it would probably save a good bit, I couldnt rent a lift locally and spent almost $150 on the welding.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
Never ever weld SFCs while on the lift. Your car needs to be sitting on the ground with the suspension loaded, especially on a classic stang that's known to not have the most rigid subframe.
At least on a 2 post. A 4 post lift like in muffler shops would be fine since you actually drive on it.

Sent using dsg's pigeon

·
Registered
979 Posts
^ it was on a 4 post at a place the does work on custom lifted trucks and is the best suspension shop in town. To OP you will love it after the SFCs are welded. did you get full lengths?

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
This is the set I went with. They are being put in by TrueStreet Motorsports in Mckinney TX.

1965-1973 Mustang Subframe Connectors

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Here they are. Much heavier than I expected. The crossmember finally shipped today.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I thought it was a lot myself but I called a few shops in the area and they are all wanting the same. No clue on undercoating. Most shops around here turn work down because they are so busy. I'm hoping it comes out less.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Ok got the new crossmember installed. I had to really fight it to get all the wholes lined up. I'm pretty sure my car has been smacked in the front over the years so the holes in the frame were slightly off. Took almost 2 hours with no help.

Here is the old one. You can see it barely clears the oil pan.

New one has more clearance.

All bolted up.

Front view

[URL=http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/sre1981/media/116ABE4E-95AE-43B8-ACDF-23A5EB9BBC58_zpsgk09nutr.jpg.html]

Ignore how dirty it is under there I've been driving the piss out of it so I need to give it a good scrub.

161 - 180 of 282 Posts