Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so to do the degreeing you need a tdc tool so i got the crane one and have a question. i screwed it all the way in #1 and rotate the engine in both directions till it hit and it went a total of something like 270* if i remember correctly...... how the hell can it possible be getting to true top dead center if the tool is in. it says in the write up on mm to take the two numbers divide them in half and then rotate it that far wouldnt this place the #1 at bottom dead center? just probably over thinking this but i was curious.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
1. Install the TDC stop......
2. Rotate the engine both ways slowly until you feel it stop and records the readings for either direction. Add the two readings, then divide by two.
3. Remove the TDC stop and rotate until the degree wheel reads that number you were left over with from the initial readings.
4. Now loosen the degree wheel and turn the wheel itself until the TDC mark (or zero) is lined up with your pointer. Tighten the degree wheel again.
5. Now rotate the engine over 90 degrees and re-install your TDC stop.
6. With the TDC stop back in, rotate te egnine over again left and right and take your readings again. You should show pretty much the same readings on either side.
7. Repeat the whole process until you get identical readings when you rotate he crank either way when the tdc stop is installed. When you do, the TDC or Zero mark on your degree wheel will actually be indicating ture top dead center.

A little hint, if you are within a couple degrees, it is much easier to make minor adjustments with the pointer so you don't have to keep removing the TDC stop and messing with the degree wheel.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Install the TDC stop......
2. Rotate the engine both ways slowly until you feel it stop and records the readings for either direction. Add the two readings, then divide by two.
3. Remove the TDC stop and rotate until the degree wheel reads that number you were left over with from the initial readings.
4. Now loosen the degree wheel and turn the wheel itself until the TDC mark (or zero) is lined up with your pointer. Tighten the degree wheel again.
5. Now rotate the engine over 90 degrees and re-install your TDC stop.
6. With the TDC stop back in, rotate te egnine over again left and right and take your readings again. You should show pretty much the same readings on either side.
7. Repeat the whole process until you get identical readings when you rotate he crank either way when the tdc stop is installed. When you do, the TDC or Zero mark on your degree wheel will actually be indicating ture top dead center.

A little hint, if you are within a couple degrees, it is much easier to make minor adjustments with the pointer so you don't have to keep removing the TDC stop and messing with the degree wheel.
OOOHHHHHHHHH okay geez that makes a million pounds more sense. I just couldnt wrap my head around it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts