Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I know I know this has been asked time and time again. But I'm not lookin for the answer I usually get.

I want to get long tubes and a catted h-pipe to match up to it. I want to know if I take it a inspection place that I will pass. I don't want the answer of "I know someone who can pass you." I want just the flat out yes or no truth. I'm in VA so I have to deal with VA laws.

·
Self proclaimed A-hole
3,780 Posts
just to be honest with you i don't think it is, i think its legal as long as you have cats but i don't think most places will want to pass it because you have longtubes.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Im kind of curious too! And is the egr required? or can it just sit there looking pretty so they think its hooked up?

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, VA only goes by visual inspection and doesnt put your car up to the sniffer so technically if I have cats it's legal, but also the law states it has to look like the exhaust the car was designed to have, but the aftermarket designs the exhaust for the cars so it is designed to be on a Mustang. I got all the technicalities I just want the blatent point blank truth

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
I've actually brought this up once before, and never got a straight answer myself. The 2 or 3 people that actually had a catted pipe with LT's lived in area's were emmissions weren't as severe.

Basically the only way to really find out is to find someone in VA with LT and a catted pipe and see if they pass man.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
because they are more closely to the original design of stock

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've actually brought this up once before, and never got a straight answer myself. The 2 or 3 people that actually had a catted pipe with LT's lived in area's were emmissions weren't as severe.

Basically the only way to really find out is to find someone in VA with LT and a catted pipe and see if they pass man.
Couple guys around here have em but they all talk about the connections they have. I'm about to just go up to the place where I go to for my inspections and just ask them if i did this could I pass.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
Couple guys around here have em but they all talk about the connections they have. I'm about to just go up to the place where I go to for my inspections and just ask them if i did this could I pass.
A local speed shop that shall remain anounimous claims that on a stock 4.6 engine, with an o/r pipe, he can get the car to pass no problem. He just overlooks the catts.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
i know... but how are stock even legal? what makes LT's more emission unfriendly?
The o2 sensors take longer to heat up and that increases the cold start emissions. And you can make a car blow clean even if it has all kinds of "illegal" stuff on it. Its a stupid law. Blow clean = pass is the only thing that makes sense.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm well I cant seem to find any LT headers that fit the auto tranny...that arent ridiculously expensive so I may be stickin with shortys

·
Registered
487 Posts
i used to live in VA and my gt was catless and it was a mayor pain in the ass to get ppl to pass my inspection. i was even offering 100$ bribes and nobody. i went everywhere from the ghettos to the city and nothing. i seriously went to like 20 places but i ended up paying to get the cats on and then taking them back off after the insection. i dont even know if they were functional.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm gonna keep the cats on. I'm not lookin for massive amounts of power from this car. I want this to have a great sound, and some fun stuff done to it. This is my daily driver that I enter into car shows. I don't have the money for racing.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
i live in PA L/Ts = failed emissions, period, good thing i gots connections

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well hopefully in VA its a little different. I'm not feelin too good about it though.

maybe I can use the technicalities to my advantage somehow.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
you can hope, but some guys are stubborn about passing cars with L/Ts, some guess do so many inspections and emsissions, they often forget to even pay attention if the headers are long tube or not, i say if you dont have away around emissions, go to a busy shop that does alot of inspections, they might hurry it up and completly not even notice the long tubes

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
MACs have LT's that will fit autos...

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
alot of emission places in PA overlook headers anyway thu, but all places that do it strictly by the book wont

1 - 20 of 76 Posts