Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a question my teft light is on,and sometimes when i try to started i wont even turn over i have keep trying, sometimes when i put the switch in the on position i have to hold it there and after a couple of seconds whit out moving it from the on position it turn on, what you guys think? any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
281 Posts
it is probably your PATS system. if it is, it will need reset at a Ford Dealership or turned off with a tuner

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I would say that the "chip" inside your key lost it's code. I've seen it happen many times.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so is the keys its bad the light go on? is tha how it goes? or if it something wrong whit the pats sistem in the car the lights go on? or is it both ways.

·
Registered
281 Posts
so is the keys its bad the light go on? is tha how it goes? or if it something wrong whit the pats sistem in the car the lights go on? or is it both ways.
the code in the key needs to match up with the code in the car's computer. the code in the key sometimes needs reset after a while

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
that would be PATS
I am well aware of what the PATS system is and consists of. In reality that is nothing more then a chip that has the PATS system codes programmed into it. When the key is inserted it transmits a signal to the receiver on the steering column that send its through RX and TX wires to the cluster then down to the PATS unit informing the ECU that the system is being enabled and that no one is trying to steal the car. There are multiple components to the pats system. You can say that it is part of PATS if you want, in which it is to a certain extent, but the PATS system itself is integrated into your cluster as well as a stand alone unit. FYI.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
whenever the car is off and the doors are closed/locked the "theft" light will blink. If you think that your PATS system has failed and not the keys loosing their programing then you would need to take that to a dealership for them to diagnose and fix the problem. If the PATS system is indeed jacked up then you may be able to start it sometimes right now but later may not be able to at all. :2cents

·
Registered
281 Posts
I am well aware of what the PATS system is and consists of. In reality that is nothing more then a chip that has the PATS system codes programmed into it. When the key is inserted it transmits a signal to the receiver on the steering column that send its through RX and TX wires to the cluster then down to the PATS unit informing the ECU that the system is being enabled and that no one is trying to steal the car. There are multiple components to the pats system. You can say that it is part of PATS if you want, in which it is to a certain extent, but the PATS system itself is integrated into your cluster as well as a stand alone unit. FYI.
i didnt mean in to come out that way. from this post ^, it is quite obvious you know what PATS consists of :sorry

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
i didnt mean in to come out that way. from this post ^, it is quite obvious you know what PATS consists of :sorry
no bro, no need for appology i didnt take it in any way as this is just the internet, you know. :drink
I might just be a little on edge cause the weather is really shitty outside and I cant drive my cars:mad:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so is the cluster its part of the (pats) system then i have a problem whit mine cluster lights it goes of sometimes even when im driving, i think the problem might be there, im going to check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
It may not be there. Dont start with hardest thing to fix and then realize that it was the easiest thing that needed to be fixed. Its a sure fire way to spend alot of money on unecessary things.

If your keys are loosing their codes intermitently then it can throw your theft light on while you are driving as it is sensing that the key is not there. if it is something that is persistent then your car "WILL" cut off while you are driving. My suggestion is to first get your keys reprogrammed to see if that works (cheap) and then see if it works. if not then just leave it there for them to troubleshoot and fix the problem. It is a very dangerous situation for you and anyone else in the area if your car just cuts off. :2cents

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thas makes a lot of sense thanks a lot im going to get the keys reprogram and i just call the dealer and they want $150 for it. is the dealer the only place i can get tha key?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
a baseball bat might fix all your problums

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
thas makes a lot of sense thanks a lot im going to get the keys reprogram and i just call the dealer and they want $150 for it. is the dealer the only place i can get tha key?
you can go on ebay and purchase those keys off of there. Ive dealt with alot of those keys in the past and never once had a customer come back and say that they messed up or something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts