Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a mark 8 motor from a coworker that had about 80k miles on it and wanted to use it for my project. This is what I found when i pulled the water pump out, has anyone seen anything like this? Im scared to use the block.

What is should look like

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
looks like some serious corrosion. IDK if i would use that. Looks a little...oh idk, dangerous for your project.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I replaced my intake manifold due to a broken heater port, and i noticed cavitation around my forward water port where the gasket sat on the head.

I used rtv around that one port haha.

Also same with my oil filter housing, i pulled it to replace the leaky gasket, and noticed cavitation around the water port on the housing.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
googled a little and checked out my block that i have. mine has a little pecking going on and im still going to use my block.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is just a spare motor i had was going to throw my old rotating assembly in it with a rering and use it till I got my other motor built but might just wait and keep driving the gas guzzler.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mean corrosion rather than cavitation?
No

Cavitation-The formation of an empty space within a solid object or body.

Corrosion-a process in which a solid, esp a metal, is eaten away and changed by a chemical action, as in the oxidation of iron in the presence of water by an electrolytic process

Cavitation corrosion

The only place I found this was around the pump, thought you would be aware of this term.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cavitation caused the corrosion.
I used to think you knew what you are talking about, you said this was corrosion not cavitation in your first post. There is no corrosion here only cavitation.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
cavitation like on a pump.... that will cause poor flow or circulation

corrosion like on aluminum....that will cause dafuq??!!??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I used to think you knew what you are talking about, you said this was corrosion not cavitation in your first post. There is no corrosion here only cavitation.
I stand corrected. It is corrosion caused by cavitation, "cavitation corrosion". I assumed in my first post that you had incorrectly called it "caviation" rather than "corrosion."

Corrosion Types, All types of Corrosion Mechanisms and Control "Under high velocity flow conditions, particularly when the flow is turbulent, areas of high and low pressure will be induced. In areas of low pressure, gas and vapor bubbles will be produced. When these bubbles move to an area of higher pressure, they collapse and their implosion creates a pressure wave that can remove protective films and cause increased corrosion."

The only place I found this was around the pump, thought you would be aware of this term.
I have never seen a block with corrosion to this extent in the pump area. I deal with the problem of corrosion often in my day job, jet engine and materials research, but the problem of cavitation corrosion is limited to the components that we don't touch, such as the main and augmentor (afterburner) fuel pumps.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stand corrected. It is corrosion caused by cavitation, "cavitation corrosion". I assumed in my first post that you had incorrectly called it "caviation" rather than "corrosion."

Corrosion Types, All types of Corrosion Mechanisms and Control "Under high velocity flow conditions, particularly when the flow is turbulent, areas of high and low pressure will be induced. In areas of low pressure, gas and vapor bubbles will be produced. When these bubbles move to an area of higher pressure, they collapse and their implosion creates a pressure wave that can remove protective films and cause increased corrosion."

I have never seen a block with corrosion to this extent in the pump area. I deal with the problem of corrosion often in my day job, jet engine and materials research, but the problem of cavitation corrosion is limited to the components that we don't touch, such as the main and augmentor (afterburner) fuel pumps.
Guess I always figured cavitation was more of a mechanical erosion effect, never figured it was actually a form of corrosion until I dug a little deeper. We were both wrong/right at the same time lol. Didn't mean to insult you by that comment na you are still a badass and know your **** when it comes to 4 valves so you have my respect.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

Guess I always figured cavitation was more of a mechanical erosion effect, never figured it was actually a form of corrosion until I dug a little deeper. We were both wrong/right at the same time lol. Didn't mean to insult you by that comment na you are still a badass and know your **** when it comes to 4 valves so you have my respect.
Reps to both of you, you just taught us all something

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
GWe were both wrong/right at the same time lol. Didn't mean to insult you by that comment na you are still a badass and know your **** when it comes to 4 valves so you have my respect.
All of us can be wro...wro...wr..incorrect at times. Damn that was hard to say.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts