Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tell me about camaros. i have read so far that the stock 4th gen camaros are faster than stock new edge mustangs. the 98-02 camaros had the LS1 engine but how much better is it than the LT1 that was in the prior years?

i might end up getting a camaro instead of a mustang, since it would be a better platform to start with, more power and responds better to bolt on mods, and i want a daily driver/street car with only bolt ons.

what experience have you guys had with them?

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you like driving an ugly car, then have at it
lol
oh btw I hope you have tiny hands if you're gonna work on it yourself

·
Registered
980 Posts
The LT1 is meh imo. It's either an LSx or no go, so a '98+ Camaro would be the way to go. What's wrong with a 4.6? The LS1 responds well to mods, but you need H/C/I to start making real power in those cars.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I've been looking at 4th gens, and everything I want to DO to my car is stock on the Camaro:
*Torque arm rear suspension
*SLA front suspension
*T56

The only problems I've heard is that the interior quality is worse than the Mustang (I honestly don't know how that could be true, though), that they're heavier than the Mustang, and that you just about need to pull the motor to swap plugs.

LT1s suffer a worse rap than the probably deserve, but they still have the same issue of being a total bastard to do plugs on, and they have optispark. Optispark is fine in and of istself, but when it goes out (and it WILL go out) the distributor cap is several HUNDRED dollars.

Z/28s and SSs run the exact same drivetrain, near as I know the only differences are aesthetic and MAYBE in springs/swaybars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont think theyre ugly at all. well a little bit but in a good way. i would rather ahve an ls1 camaro but price is the issue here.

dizzy i assume you heads cams and intake? i want something good stock, since after i get it it will about a year before i start to mod.

i like the 4.6 too but like i said i would like something more powerful from the beginning. it will most likely come down to the best deal i can get at the time. does the 4.6 respond better to mods? the mustang looks better which is what draws me and i like ford.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes ive been reading on the plugs problem, i love how the 4.6 is so much easier to work on. what exactly is the spark plug problem they have?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
since we're talking about power realistically i dont wanna be pushing more than 350-400 whp for reliability issues and the need to have to upgrade drivetrain. i do however plan on using a good NOS boost with either car.

·
Registered
980 Posts
And you need boost to make real power with the 4.6. What's your point?
I didn't mean it in a bad way, but I'm just telling him simple bolt ons will only get him so far because it sounds like he wants good power with just bolt ons. For his goals, he's going to need to spend a little bit of money. If you wanna make power in a LSx, you do H/C/I. If you wanna make power in a 4.6, you get boost.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Power in a 4.6 will run you anywhere from $2,000-$4,000, depending on how well of a deal you can find on a blower, whether or not you can install it yourself, and where you get it tuned.

I'm not sure how much H/C/I will run you, but I think overall it'll be a little bit cheaper than a 4.6.

Now for more power, you're going to need to boost the LSx as well. For the LT1, I don't know much there, but as I said earlier, you're probably better off with a 5.0 in that case. I can be wrong though, I don't know much about the LT1s.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
For the record, a bone stock LT1 is only slightly slower than a bone stock B-port Cobra. People look down on them only because the LS1 is so much better.

·
Registered
569 Posts
LS1 Camaros and Trans Ams are fun a pain to work on but not impossible. I had a Trans Am enjoyed it modded it and then the ex-wife took it in the divorce. It depends on what you want in the end.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts