Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pre-painted parts are coming from AmericanMuscle.com. This means no more hassles, added expense or questionable quality of third-party paint shops.

We've got $50 AM bucks good toward your choice of our new pre-painted parts. All you have to do is tell us your best story about having your own parts painted. Humorous or horror story, actual event or figment of your imagination, we don't care. Just make it interesting in 150 words or less.

Reply here or under the main post and pre-painted parts teaser video at AmericanMuscle.com Mustang Blog.

Contest Ends October 26 when the pre-painted parts launch on AmericanMuscle.com

·
Registered
923 Posts
EDIT: I didn't see the thing about it having to be a paint story. I'll leave this for people to read anyway.
I think I have a decent story.
I wanted a Mustang since I was a little kid. My dad was a car guy and growing up I rode around in everything. Well, almost. Camaros, Firebirds, Porsches, you name it... but never a mustang of any year.
Well when I returned from the military I decided to look around and see if I could find a Mustang to purchase. I searched local listings and found a 1996 V6 convertible for $4500. I met the guy, test drove it, and fell in love. Nothing I had ever experienced compared to the feeling I had while driving this car. So I paid him $2000 down and agreed to pay him $2500 more when my next check came in.
I drove the car for two days before something went wrong. I went to start it on the third day and I heard a chattering/knocking noise from the engine. It just got worse the further I tried to drive. After a few calls, I determined that I most likely had a spun rod bearing. At this point I didn't even know how to change the oil, let alone fix something that sounded that bad.
So I decided to replace the engine. I swear god meant me to have this car because I found someone selling a 1998 v6 which was mechanically perfect for $800. A wreck had done major cosmetic damage but I was able to test drive it enough to determine that I could use the engine and decided I'd even throw in the 98's tranny since mine was slipping a little and they were both automatic.
I got both cars out to my grandpa's, who is a mechanic, figuring I'd just give him some cash and he could take care of it for me. He laughed in my face when I told him and said "that's what you get for putting a 6 cylinder in a sports car" and said he wouldn't do it.
He would, however, let me do it, under his direction. So I spent the next 3 days at my grandfather's house under his direction, working on these two cars. Over these few days, I learned not only how to change the oil, but how to tear my car apart and put it back together (we exchanged quite a few odds and ends that were in better condition on the 98), and that this was something I loved doing.
I had tried college but had no clue what I wanted to do, which lead me to the army where I figured they'd tell me what I liked to do. After that I still had no clue what my career might me. But once I got under those cars and got some grease on my hands, I never wanted to come back out. I absolutely loved the mechanical intricacy of these things and the basic common sense that could be found in all of it's workings.
Since then I've had to sell that particular mustang due to my son's birth, and am sad to say that I've been told the new owner put a whole through the oil pan and proceeded to seize the engine up with no oil in it. I'm not sure what his plans are for it.
I have, however picked up an 87 fox which is close to my dream stang (89 hatch, red, 5.0 w/ a t5) and have been working trying to bring her back to her glory days.
I know that my original stang was only a v6, but to me she was fast and nothing beat having that top down on the highway. I will always miss that car, and be thankful that she directed me to the career that would make me happy. I'm now a proud student at St. Philip's College studying Automotive Technology and hope to open my own shop one day, perhaps specializing in Mustangs.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Hmm. Let's see. I have too many humorous stories about buying crap and never reading stickies and learning later I could have got it cheaper. Or waiting months for something to go on sale and then saying F'it and buying the parts only to have them go on sale a week later. (gears, convertible top, catback, wheels, springs this has happened with EVERY part I have bought) My luck is horrific. From the magical 12,000 miles appearing on my car when I was deployed to Iraq for a year, to the backing in to my roommates Kenworth parked in my driveway one morning. Prepainted parts could have saved me a fortune that time.

As for a painting story though, my roommate had his classic 1977 Porsche 911 widebody rear ended in September of 2008. The insurance company took until April of 09 to get him hsi check. The car has been in the paint shop since then. Now it is damn near a restoration becuase the last painter screwed things up bad. The paint was peeling off the car in sheets, and a lot of later found bondo was used. Anyway, the car is still in the shop as of today. It was in the shop when I ran in to his Kenworth. So my car took precedence in fixing at the shop over his. If painted parts would have been available at the time, the repairs would have taken less time, and he might be getting his car back soon. So you see, once again I jumped the gun. I should have waited until after the prepainted parts came out. Then we could have both had our cars done by now. So PPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE let me win this as I want more stuff that I can not get painted until ater his car is repaired, and I do not have the calm demeanor to wait any longer! lol

·
MM's Resident Ginger
2,991 Posts
I used to have a 2004 Mustang GT, special edition. When I bought it the passenger side fender was damaged and needed to be replaced/painted…so I call a guy, I trust him to get an OEM fender, and paint my fender… he had painted it, and at first I thought, well this looks alright, but then I walked up to my car to see the fender was about a billion shades too dark, had runs like hell everywhere, and didn’t line up with the body. A couple of months later the same fender got hit AGAIN. I take it to have it repainted and he actually matched the paint almost exactly. I opened my door a couple of weeks later to find he had sprayed primer all over the place and didn’t remove emblems so my paint was chipping off within days. Spent 600$ on painting the stupid fender altogether.

*btw when i went to trade in the doomed car, i lost 800$ on the value because of all the bad paintwork*

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hey Guys, Here's my story.

About seven months ago a lady had backed into the front of my car at the library, messing up by front cobra bumper. "the only thing damage was the bumper" and this was 3 weeks after I got the whole car repainted. I was soo mad. so I went to this body and paint shop here and they had it for a week and a half just to put and paint the new bumper on. They had white dots all over the bumper when I got it back, Looks like over spray from enough car. So I take it back, they re sanded it and repainted the bumper, witch equaled four more days of no car. now if American Muscle had the pre-painted parts all I would of had to do is order the cobra front bumper with my color code and in two days I'd have the bumper sitting at my door step and Id could just put it on myself that same day. Would save money and time! Thanks for reading my story!

I'd love this gift card, then I'd have money to put towards the CDC Side Scoops Ive been wanting to buy :)

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
As I was fighting off Nazi zombies with my custom built ar-15 ( thanks white) protecting burnin yours while she was fixing our ride. I started to get overwhelmed by zombies Johnson comes blazing around the corner along with cricket laying down Nazi zombies. I support cover fire while johnson and burnin yours fixes our ride outta here. All goes well till bam I get blind sided as im going for our custom painted gas cap. Thank goodness Johnson throws a monkey out as cricket helps me to my feet and I grab the gas cap, then burnin kicks the mustang over and she starts pack up boys she yells we all come running.

Moments later we are in the clear laughing about how a zombie almost raped me. Then we se a shadey figure we slow down o no it's Luis and smoke gun it!!! Then we come upon white99 about to be over run we stop to give aid.

Cricket gets trapped noooo we fight to get to him he's down then Johnson then white then me **** run burnin run* asvoice fades out by zombies*

·
Registered
923 Posts
As I was fighting off Nazi zombies with my custom built ar-15 ( thanks white) protecting burnin yours while she was fixing our ride. I started to get overwhelmed by zombies Johnson comes blazing around the corner along with cricket laying down Nazi zombies. I support cover fire while johnson and burnin yours fixes our ride outta here. All goes well till bam I get blind sided. Johnson throws a monkey out burnin kicks the mustang over and she starts pack up boys she yells we all come running.

Moments later we are in the clear laughing about how a zombie almost raped me. Then we se a shadey figure we slow down o no it's Luis and smoke gun it!!! Then we come upon white99 about to be over run we stop to give aid.

Cricket gets trapped noooo we fight to get to him he's down then Johnson then white then me **** run burnin run* asvoice fades out by zombies*
You need to stop eating raw meat.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm in the story. I almost raped you, remember?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hell Yeah motherf*cker. I am MM's official zombie.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
As I was fighting off Nazi zombies with my custom built ar-15 ( thanks white) protecting burnin yours while she was fixing our ride. I started to get overwhelmed by zombies Johnson comes blazing around the corner along with cricket laying down Nazi zombies. I support cover fire while johnson and burnin yours fixes our ride outta here. All goes well till bam I get blind sided. Johnson throws a monkey out burnin kicks the mustang over and she starts pack up boys she yells we all come running.

so...

I fail to see anything about paint in here...

Reactions: Till

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
^ hmmm I shall fix that

edit fixed

thanks I was in class when I typed that I must have read right over it LOL rep'd

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
May I add to my story that I just lost out on a set of 03/04 scoops that I wanted to buy. I would have had to paint those, and of course it will be a while before I can paint anything. Ecspecially since the painter and his girlfriend are trying to work things out. Whenever they are split he will paint, when they are not he does no painting. So I really really really really need this gift card and prepainted scoops! :D

Thanks

·
MM's Resident Ginger
2,991 Posts
this thread has been thouroghly raped, pillaged, stabbed, shot, cut up, and incinerated. hahahahahahah

1 - 20 of 37 Posts