Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok guys i have a question, im going to be hooking up my water temperature gauge here soon and need to know if the temperature sending unit in a 1995 gt connected to the pcm? and also where is it located? i did read up on it a little but just want to confirm, it says that the coolant temperature sensor is connected to the pcm but the temperature sending unit is just for the gauge in the dash. I plan on just replacing the sending unit with the new one supplied with the gauge but i need to know if its connected to the pcm in any way, if it is i have to find another way to hook it up

thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yep that's correct. The engine coolant temp sensor is strictly for the computer. The coolant temp sender is just for the gauge. Not sure about the SN-95's but the sender for the gauge should be in the driver front part of the lower intake. It will only have one wire plugged in to the top of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yep that's correct. The engine coolant temp sensor is strictly for the computer. The coolant temp sender is just for the gauge. Not sure about the SN-95's but the sender for the gauge should be in the driver front part of the lower intake. It will only have one wire plugged in to the top of it.
As far as i have seen the 94/95 is the same for the 5.0s. 2 senders, and in the same spots.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool, i found it, fogged you were right its on the lower intake manifold on the drivers side, its kind of hard to see you have to look for it, but the sn95's have two the other one is on the heater pipes right in the front, that is the coolant temperature sensor and i guess that one sends the PCM info

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok just for a final clarification, I can replace the temperature sending unit with a new one and not have any effect on the way the car runs? because i looked on autozone and this is what they said will happen if its not replaced... lol

- Temperature sending unit sends a signal to the temperature gauge on the instrument panel.
- When not replaced, vehicle may experience inaccurate temperature gauge function, overheating engine, internal engine damage and/or excessive fuel consumption.
- Designed to meet or exceed OE specifications in form, fit and function.
- Global coverage for import and/or domestic applications

straight from their website

Duralast/Temperature Switch (TU25) | 1995 Ford Mustang 8 Cylinders T 5.0L SFI HO | AutoZone.com

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok cool, only thing i did realize is the gauge that i am buying (from glowshift, they have really nice gauges by the way) comes with a 1/8 temperature sender and the stock one has 3/8 threads so im gonna have to go to the hardware store and find an adapter that has 1/8 threads that goes to 3/8 so i can screw it back into the stock location on the block

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok cool, only thing i did realize is the gauge that i am buying (from glowshift, they have really nice gauges by the way) comes with a 1/8 temperature sender and the stock one has 3/8 threads so im gonna have to go to the hardware store and find an adapter that has 1/8 threads that goes to 3/8 so i can screw it back into the stock location on the block
If you haven't purchased them yet, I wouldn't buy from Glowshift. Their sending units suck!

Their gauges are fine and look great but they must be used with glowshifts sending units and they just don't work.

I installed one of their oil pressure and water temperature gauges and neither one reads correctly.

My oil pressure always reads above 60 psi and many times it shows 80-100 PSI which is way to high.

The water temp always reads 10 degrees lower than the actual temperature.

Both sending units are installed in the same locations as the stock sending units so that isn't a problem.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm ok, well what would you recommend as far as brands go, i mainly want it for function but i want it for a visual upgrade too, the reason why i was leaning towards the glowshift was because they have like 7 different colors and it wouldnt be hard to make it match the rest of my dash lights...i like the autometer brands but i guess the backlighting on them is only a standard light bulb, and no i have not purchased one yet

·
Registered
232 Posts
hmmm ok, well what would you recommend as far as brands go, i mainly want it for function but i want it for a visual upgrade too, the reason why i was leaning towards the glowshift was because they have like 7 different colors and it wouldnt be hard to make it match the rest of my dash lights...i like the autometer brands but i guess the backlighting on them is only a standard light bulb, and no i have not purchased one yet
Some of the autometer gauges have a white/green or white/red light. I was looking at some on Summit racing.

I know the glowshift gauges look great but from my experience they do not work very well as far as the sending units go.

I can only speak from experience in regard to glowshift. I haven't tried the others yet, but I will be trying another brand in the near future.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Mine will be the one with the shift light between the tach and speedo, then turn signals outside of the those two gauges up high. Then the two down low will be check engine light and high beam light. Like this one, only with the ultralite series of gauges which are the silver backed aluminum bezel ones. http://florida50.com/user/image/640x480_p1000608.jpg

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
****'s expensive though, but I want to know what's going on under the hood. Not sure if you read about it in my thread or not.
ya they are pricey... if i had the funds i might have done that two...the key is to have one of your Buddy's buy one too, with the second one being 50% off and then you split the savings

1 - 19 of 19 Posts