Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. For a few weeks now, I have heard a short rattle upon acceleration every now and then. I got out of my car the other day while it was running, and head a ticking sound. I found out it was my tensioner. I have attached a video for you to see.

I learn cars as I go, so is this my culprit for the acceleration rattle? What's causing it? A failing belt, tensioner, or timing chain? Would just replacing the tensioner take care of it? I hope, as that's the cheapest part. Haha.

Thanks everyone!

https://youtu.be/SQzpxDgzE78

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What engine? 2 Valve, 3 Valve or 4 Valve?
Good question! Sorry! I forgot this was more of a generic area of the forum. 4.0 V6 (2V).

I brought it to my mechanic today, and talked to another on the phone. My guy said it's most likely just the belt tensioner, and the other guy said that if it was the timing chain or anything like that, I would know. My car drives and accelerates like normal, there is just the rattle.

My guy had me turn on my A/C to put more stress on the belt, and tensioner went crazy. Leads me to believe that is all it is. I hope. I am going to order a new one (since they are only about $30), and hopefully that fixes that issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts